cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

101CANON image folder just disappeared from Canon 6D Markii

punahou90
Contributor

So, in 15 years I've NEVER had this happen to me. I've been using a SanDisk 128GB Extreme card and have two folders on the card as I filled up the first one 100CANON a while back. So, I get back from a shoot yesterday and was reviewing the images in the camera a bit before I put the camera away. Today I go to load the images to the client and the entire folder 101CANON is gone off the card when I put it in my card reader but the 100CANON remains? WTF? So I put it back in the camera. GONE! They were just there along with thousands of other images. Granted most of these images are no longer needed as they are old jobs and files are in the clients hands but I do have personal images I want on there. This has never happened to me before. I've accidentally erased images before or reformatted a card when I didn't want to but I did nothing. There are no signs of corrupt files etc because the **bleep** 101CANON folder is just gone? I'm at a loss. Any ideas? Currently running rescue pro to try and trouble shoot this bizarre situation. Any help is appreciated. 

Mahalo. 

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If this is the first time you've experienced (random and unexplainable) data loss in 15 yrs, you've been lucky.

As far as our speculating as to what happened or how, that's anyone's guess. All hardware fails, this includes storage media.

Possible explanations:

Hardware failure

User error

Formatting issues

If the folder and files are gone, you best bet is a recovery software which can hopefully recovery the missing files.  

Only recommendation I can make when you are being paid to perform a service.

Use a body with dual card slots.  This usually protects you against the (I didn't get that) conversation you may have to have with the client. 

Sorry and good luck with the recovery.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick, 

Appreciate the time to reply. Yes, if 15 years this is the only time I've experienced something like this. I've had drives, cards, files etc FAIL, go corrupt, etc and I've even accidentally erased or formatted a card before. But this was WEIRD! Just the night before I was reviewing the images in camera. Shut it off. Woke up in the morning and the images were gone. I check and the 101CANON folder was gone when I inserted it to the card reader. Then put it back in the camera. Not there either. The 100CANON folder and images were still there. Currently running the RP Deluxe to hopefully recover the files. If I can recover them on an accidentally formatted card like I have done before I'm really hoping that this shouldn't be an issue. Fingers crossed. 

@punahou90 wrote:

Rick, 

Appreciate the time to reply. Yes, if 15 years this is the only time I've experienced something like this. I've had drives, cards, files etc FAIL, go corrupt, etc and I've even accidentally erased or formatted a card before. But this was WEIRD! Just the night before I was reviewing the images in camera. Shut it off. Woke up in the morning and the images were gone. I check and the 101CANON folder was gone when I inserted it to the card reader. Then put it back in the camera. Not there either. The 100CANON folder and images were still there. Currently running the RP Deluxe to hopefully recover the files. If I can recover them on an accidentally formatted card like I have done before I'm really hoping that this shouldn't be an issue. Fingers crossed. 

That is weird.  When you were reviewing the images in camera the night before, did you delete any of them?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle,

NEGATIVE! That's why I'm like WTH? 

UPDATE: RP DLX has recoverd the images so far and I'll be reviewing them and saving the personal images I really wanted  ie my wildlife shots. Most Bald Eagles and Hummingbirds that I really wanted. The work stuff I don't need since the clients have them in hand. 

punahou90
Contributor

UPDATE: RP DLX has recoverd the images so far and I'll be reviewing them and saving the personal images I really wanted  ie my wildlife shots. Mostly Bald Eagles and Hummingbirds that I really wanted. The work stuff (real estate) I don't need since the clients have had them in hand within 24 hrs after each shoot. 

Thanks for the replies but I still have NO IDEA WTH happened. 

I think if you are using your card for long term storage of thousands of images then you are asking for trouble.

Personally I download all the files and reformat the card after each shooting session.

punahou90
Contributor
Ray-UK

That’s been my habit for YEARS but I just got LAZY with the large capacity cards. 90% of the images I didn’t care about so that contributed to my ignorance. Lesson learned.
Announcements