cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lens compatibility

Photolady
Apprentice

Hi,

My neighbor bought a Canon Rebel EOS T4i used camera. The only lens that came with the camera is a 500mm Ultimax.

I've tried to take pictures with this lens and it won't focus. You can take a picture with it, but it's very blurry. No matter what I do with this camera I cannot get the lens to focus. Is this lens not compatible? It mounts to the camera with no problem.

Any ideas? 

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The web site for that product oddly omits the mount type.  But since it's physically connecting to your T4i, it must be either an EF or EF-S mount.

It would be better to get a brand-name lens (e.g. Canon, Sigma, Tamron).   For troubleshooting with that lens, would be best to contact the manufacturer.   I have a feeling nobody else here may be familiar with that brand of lens.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thank you for your help. She bought the camera at a used camera store and was told it would work. I'll take your advice on her camera. 

I have a Canon EOS 7D Mark II and the other day after i used it I noticed that the quick control dial is no longer working, it just spins. Also suddenly the language changed to Japanese. I can't use the tool option because the quick control dial isn't functioning. Any ideas?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Take Ricky's advice.  Do whatever you want with the lens except attach it to anything you care about.  

Try removing your battery. or resetting the camera to defaults, but whatever you do, keep that lens away from any body's you own. 

$79 deal of a lifetime

shadowsports_0-1644791708073.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

normadel
Authority
Authority

On the Ultimaxx website this lens is shown as a manual-focus lens. Are you expecting it to autofocus?

It is also a T-mount lens, meaning it is a lens without a camera mount, and there are T-mount adapters to put it on many cameras. If the lens has an EOS-adapter and fits on your EOS camera, fine. but it's incapable of doing anything automatically.

Does it not focus (manually) at all, at any distance? 

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The minimum focus distance for that lens is 33 feet. It is only able to focus on far away subjects.

If you don’t mount the screw-on EF adapter to the screw T-Mount correctly, you may not be able to focus on anything.

If you are able to achieve focus, you must use at least 1/1000 shutter speed because of the long focal length will magnify any camera shake or movement and cause blurry images. 

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have a Canon EOS 7D Mark II and the other day after i used it I noticed that the quick control dial is no longer working, it just spins. Also suddenly the language changed to Japanese. I can't use the tool option because the quick control dial isn't functioning. Any ideas?"

A reset to factory is the thing to do. But removing the battery may not do the trick.  On your camera, there is an internal rechargeable battery that can keep settings for 3+ months by itself. This battery is recharged from the main LP-E6/N battery. So removing the main battery isn't a good option for a reset if the menus can not be accessed.

I doubt the cheap lens had anything to do with this. T-mount lenses have been around for years and used thousands of times without issue. I've used them quit a bit myself.  If not attached properly or with some very cheapo mounts they can come loose.

That lens is a generic lens that lots of businesses put their name on. They have been around for years too. They are totally manual. They do not auto focus or set aperture. You must do both!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements