cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon 17-55 noisy image stabilization

Justin
Enthusiast

I just purchased a canon 17-55mm lens and the first time I used it I noticed a loud noise coming from the lens when I have the  image stabilization turned on.  It sounds like a casette tape rewinding for about 2 seconds then a sort of radio static type of noise.  I heard other people have this issue, but mine is very loud.  I have other canon lenses with image stabilization that are almost silent. Does anyone else have this issue, and how loud is it?  I am considering returning the lens as I am afraid the IS might be going out.  

Justin

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you hearing these noises when you shoot stills or video?  What camera are you using?

If you are hearing loud noises just by simply turning on the camera, then the lens is suspect.  I would return it, or contact Canon support.  Be sure to only by gear from authorized Canon dealers.  I do not regard Amazon as a reliable source.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

All lenses with IS or OS or VC or whatever they call it make noise.  The camera you have doesn't matter.  You should hear it but you shouldn't think hey man that's loud. I always like to call Canon. They may have some suggestions. If you bou

ght it from a good retailer, there should be no problem returning it if Canon says to or Canon may want to repair it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The lens only makes noise when I press the shutter button to focus.  It lasts for a couple of seconds then stops.  I have a 18-200mm kit lens that is the exact same size and weight that also has IS, but it is compeletly silent.  I would think a higher quality lens would be just as quiet.  I am shooting with a 60D, but as you said that is probably illrelavent. I will contact Canon next.  Fortunately I did buy from a reputable retailer and am still within the window for returns, but would like to avoid that if possible.  It it would be re-assuring to hear from other people who own this lens as it sounds like it is an issue.

I recommend that you get the lens checked out.  It really should be nearly whisper quite when focusing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

" I would think a higher quality lens would be just as quiet."

I don't know what you mean but the 17-55mm isn't a "higher quality" lens.  They are both in the same class of lenses. No IS lens is totally quiet.  Some are noisier than others but I would characterize none as loud. Call Canon.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I would think a higher quality lens would be just as krogerfeedback quiet."

I don't know what you mean but the 17-55mm isn't a "higher quality" lens.  They are both in the same class of lenses. No IS lens is totally quiet.  Some are noisier than others but I would characterize none as loud. Call Canon.

It lasts for a couple of seconds then stops.  I have a 18-200mm kit lens that is the exact same size and weight that also has IS, but it is compeletly silent.  I would think a higher quality lens would be just as quiet.  I am shooting with a 60D, but as you said that is probably illrelavent. I will contact Canon next.  Fortunately I did buy from a reputable retailer and am still within the window for returns, but would like to avoid that if possible.

@Mildred555 wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I would think a higher quality lens would be just as quiet."

It lasts for a couple of seconds then stops.  I have a 18-200mm kit lens that is the exact same size and weight that also has IS, but it is compeletly silent.  I would think a higher quality lens would be just as quiet.  I am shooting with a 60D, but as you said that is probably illrelavent. I will contact Canon next.  Fortunately I did buy from a reputable retailer and am still within the window for returns, but would like to avoid that if possible.

IS is a reaction to camera movement; it shouldn't be something that "lasts for a couple of seconds then stops". Unless what you're hearing is actually autofocus noise, it does suggest that there may be something wrong with the lens.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

If you just use the half-shutter press to activate IS, and don't take a picture, IS will indeed "lasts for a couple of seconds then stops".

"... it shouldn't be something that "lasts for a couple of seconds then stops ..."

Well Robert there are lenses where the IS motor does run for a couple seconds.  I don't own the 18-55mm, never did, so I am not personally familiar with it's sound. However, having owned many, many other lenses, I can say they all don't act and sound the same.

EB
Announcements