cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Ring not Working on a Brand New RF 24-70mm F2.8 L IS USM

canon_user8
Contributor

Zoom Ring not Working on a Brand New Lens (Stuck and Yes I did make sure the lock was turned off)

Hi gooday, I just bought a RF 24-70mm f2.8 lens and I turned the zoom ring and it was completely stuck. I did make sure the lock was turned off and still nothing. Does anyone know what I can do to remedy this? 

I'm not from the USA or Canada so I can't simply send it in.

18 REPLIES 18

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

... I turned the zoom ring and it was completely stuck. I did make sure the lock was turned off and still nothing.

The lens is clearly defective.  As long as the lock switch is truly off, the zoom ring (the wide one nearest the camera) should turn easily, and the lens should extend.  It doesn't need to be connected to the camera.  (I just checked all this on my copy of that lens.)

Does anyone know what I can do to remedy this?

I'm not sure what you're getting at here.  Are you contemplating opening up the lens?  On a brand new, very expensive lens, I would say that's an extremely bad idea.  I've never tried anything like that, but I guess that unless you're actually a lens technician, you'd have real trouble ever getting it to work again.

I'm not from the USA or Canada so I can't simply send it in.

I'm also not from the USA or Canada, and yet when my camera needed fixing I got it done by Canon under warranty almost by return mail, no problem.

So I guess you mean you bought the lens grey market.  This, I'm afraid, is why you shouldn't buy camera gear on the grey market.  Still if you have an actual seller you can contact, your best bet is to take it back for a refund.

Hi AtticusLake, I did not buy the lens in the grey market, nor am I planning to open up the lens. It will void my warranty, the lens is a genuine Canon lens. It's from Canon, it's been ordered on Amazon by the seller K&M Cameras.

In my country, there are no Canon authorized dealerships. I live in the Caribbean, i'm from the country Trinidad and Tobago (specifically Trinidad). I am not sure how to get the lens to New York, the company is 1 hour away from JFK Airport. I don't have a visa either wherein I can just travel with the lens to get it there.

The lens is extrememly expensive and my God don't get me started on the duty I had to pay on the item when it had arrived in my country. The Duty was 20% and the VAT was 12.5% of the price of the item with tax. Overall I spent about $2950 USD on the lens so i'm terrified of opening it up.

Hello! 

Can you not return it to Amazon if it was purchased on Amazon? 

For someone from my country, it's not as simple, nor is it cheap to do so. There aren't any places to return, your only option is FedEx which is fast but expensive or TTPost which is still a bit costly, but very slow.

Ah, then I'm sorry to hear about your problem.  You're from a beautiful place, but I guess there are downsides.  (I've never been to Trinidad, but I did sail to Old Providence Island once.)

Hopefully the other replies here can be of some help.

It's fine, I guess i'll see what happens next. Kinda sad but nothing I or anyone else can do except the seller.

It's interesting that you sail, I have a friend from Sheffield, England who use to sail when he was younger. He worked as a Skipper for many years and sailed around the Caribbean.

Really nice guy, I had met him because he's left Sheffield to practice Buddhism as a monk and he had talked about sailing around the Caribbean etc. That does sound like a lot of fun, but i've never been sailing so i'm not sure.

I'll be honest, if I hadn't met him, I wouldn't be alive today if he hadn't turned up in my life. I was stuck in a really dark place in my life when I was 16 years old (i'm 25 years now). 

canon_user8
Contributor

Video link to defective lens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vE9gFGyCjM

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Sorry for the problem.  I don't see many options here.  The lens needs to be returned, by whatever methods you have available to you.  I am not familiar with buying in the Caribbean.  For Trinidad and Tobago, sales is handled by Canon Latin America.

Canon Latin America: leader in digital imaging solutions

You'll have to get your refund or exchange from the retailer where you purchased the lens.  Moving forward I'd contact Canon and see what they recommend, where to buy, etc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick, where would you recommend I contact Canon? 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements