cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Lense Advice

Nickiew
Apprentice

Hi all

Im looking for some advice, im currently in the position where I want to buy a Zoom lense for wildlife photography.

My wife has the Sigma 150-600 which is an amazing lens.

My camera is a Canon 77D.

Ive been looking around on the second hand market and seen the following

Sigma 150-500

Sigma 150-600

Tamron 150-600

So I suppose ive kind off narrowed it down to the above 3 lenses. But here is my question
Is the money difference worth the difference of the 150-500 or 150-600
How good is the 150-500 as ive read some people struggle with the autofocus on this lens
The ive chatted to people who says the Tamron takes more Sharper images.

Would you say its worth spending the extra money and getting a 150-600 ?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Nickie
5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

First, and foremost, it is highly advisable to have good post processing software when you use any of those lenses.  The Canon software does not perform lens correction on non-Canon lenses, and nearly any super telephoto lens needs some correction.

I have had the Sigma 150-500mm, and traded it in for a 150-600, which is much better lens.  My complaint with the 150-500 was too much vignetting at 500mm, and the OS system simply did not work.

The Sigma 150-600 seems to have cured the “tug-of-war” the OS would have with itself.  And, the lens is sharper than the 150-500.  The 150-600mm also uses the Sigma Dock, so that you can do firmware updates.  The latest update completely transformed the lens.  It focuses much faster, and no longer has a tendency to become soft over 500mm.

Never used a Tamron, but like the Sigma, you would want the latest model, the G2.

”Buy it once, so buy it right the first time.”  I do not recommend the Sigma 150-500mm, at all.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you very much

Yeah i agree the porst processing software is quite important, currently finding my way around Adobe lightroom.

I definitly think value for money the SIgma 150-600 would be my best buy

@Nickiew wrote:

Thank you very much

Yeah i agree the porst processing software is quite important, currently finding my way around Adobe lightroom.

I definitly think value for money the SIgma 150-600 would be my best buy

Adobe LR is great.  I use presets during an Import to apply lens correction.

All three of the lenses you cited are beasts.  They are big and heavy.  In fact, they could be a little too heavy for your 77D.  I would advise to always support the lens, and never let the full weight of it “hang” from the lens mount.

All three of those lenses have a tripod foot.  I use the tripod foot as a carrying handle when I go handheld.  Most of the time with the Sigma 150-600, I use a monopod with a Kirk MPA-2 tilt head.  Consider investing in a monopod and a good head.

Because of its’ excellent friction control, the Kirk tilt head is the best monopod head I have used.  Balll heads do not work well on a monopod.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"... currently finding my way around Adobe lightroom."

Great. This is the best there is. 80% of everything you need to do can be done in LR.  LR has the Develop module which is exactly the same as the ACR plug-in for Photoshop.  Although I use PS, most of the editing can be done in ACR just as you can do in the Develop module of LR.  One big very important thing to remember using LR is to do ALL your work inside LR. All moves, all copying, catalogs, everything.  LR gets confused if you do stuff outside its GUI.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Ive been looking around on the second hand market and seen the following
Sigma 150-500
Sigma 150-600
Tamron 150-600"

I own or have owned every model of the 150-600 class zoom made.  I even have and have had three of the 150-500mm zooms.

OK right of the top if you are buying new and wnat the best of the lot, you want the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2.  It has the best IQ, it has the best weather sealing and it is customizable. $1300 new.

My personal favorite is the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens. I do not recommend it to anybody because of its higher cost and because of its weight.  The others are big but they are not overly heavy and are completely hand holdable. The big Siggy S would dwarf a 77D. However, last weekend I was using my Siggy C on a Canon SL1 and it was fine.  Actually very easy to maneuver around.

Now to consider the obsolete Sigma 150-500mm.  I can say if you get a good copy you will get a good lens.  My statement above indicated that it took me three tries to get a good one.  It is very good, however, and I doubt you could pick out a shot taken with it vs a Siggy C. My first two copies were sharp but their OS was faulty.  If you never use OS, they would have been fine. And, OS is not a deal breaker or maker fo rme.  If it has it I want it to work, though.

Now why even say any of this?  Because you can find a 150-500mil for cheap.  Perhaps in the $300 range. Check it out first.

Buying new get the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements