cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Thoughts on the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L

jeff_k
Apprentice

Hello, my name is Jeff and this my first post here. I'm looking for input on the EF 16-35 2.8. I kinda want this lens but am not sure how much use I would get out of it. Most of my shooting is candid or portrait. I have a 35mm and a 24-70mm along with a few others. Do the folks that have this lens find much use for it and if so, what is your primary use of this lens? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

i get the most use from my copy when I am shooting indoors in available light.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I love that focal length but not for portraits.  It is best for groups or landscapes. However, my copy of the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L isn't a stellar performer.  I sell my work so it has to be the best it can be.

I am not a Tokina lens fan at all but the Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 AT-X PRO FX is a great lens and has assumed the place my EF 16-35mm f/2.8L once had. And at half the price. It is the only Tok I can recommend or would buy. And, if you are wanting to use it on an R body I would not buy it. Some of my friends tell me the RF 15-35mm f/2.8 L IS USM Lens is fantastic

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The reason people buy any lens is to use what the lens is designed to do. When it is a zoom like a super telephoto you tend to use the long end way more than the short end. Well the same approach applies to a WA or UWA zoom lens. You will tend to be on the wider side more often. Using my  EF 16-35mm f/2.8L, if I leave lots or room at the side and corners it is wonderful. Super sharp. Crop out the sides! But the reason you bought it is to use that 16mm form edged to edge. Sometimes it's impossible to move back any further and it  becomes a necessity. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements