cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another gear question for Africa photo safari

glider4
Contributor

Going to Kenya and Tanzania for 2 weeks in January. My primary camera is the R5 with a RF 100-500 lens. Secondary camera is a R6M2. Trying to decide on lens for R6M2.

Own both the RF 24-240 and the RF 24-105 F/4 lenses. Can only take one of these two. See advantages and disadvantages of both. What would you choose?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

rs-eos
Elite

Since you have the longer focal lengths covered with your R5 setup, I would go with the RF 24-105mm f/4.  It would be the better optic and also a tad lighter than the 24-240.  Plus, the constant f/4 aperture.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Yep, I agree with Ricky.  The 24-240 is a brilliant optic but it's not a constant aperture and that would be the clincher.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite

Since you have the longer focal lengths covered with your R5 setup, I would go with the RF 24-105mm f/4.  It would be the better optic and also a tad lighter than the 24-240.  Plus, the constant f/4 aperture.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Yep, I agree with Ricky.  The 24-240 is a brilliant optic but it's not a constant aperture and that would be the clincher.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements