cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another gear question for Africa photo safari

glider4
Contributor

Going to Kenya and Tanzania for 2 weeks in January. My primary camera is the R5 with a RF 100-500 lens. Secondary camera is a R6M2. Trying to decide on lens for R6M2.

Own both the RF 24-240 and the RF 24-105 F/4 lenses. Can only take one of these two. See advantages and disadvantages of both. What would you choose?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

rs-eos
Elite

Since you have the longer focal lengths covered with your R5 setup, I would go with the RF 24-105mm f/4.  It would be the better optic and also a tad lighter than the 24-240.  Plus, the constant f/4 aperture.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Yep, I agree with Ricky.  The 24-240 is a brilliant optic but it's not a constant aperture and that would be the clincher.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite

Since you have the longer focal lengths covered with your R5 setup, I would go with the RF 24-105mm f/4.  It would be the better optic and also a tad lighter than the 24-240.  Plus, the constant f/4 aperture.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Yep, I agree with Ricky.  The 24-240 is a brilliant optic but it's not a constant aperture and that would be the clincher.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements