cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s going on with the RF 200-800 backorder

LaneW
Enthusiast

Estimated shipping date was Dec 14.  I ordered through Adorama, and they just say that they are backordered.  Seems to be the same story ordering direct from Canon and other sellers.  What is really going on here?

Canon R5, 80D. EF 100-400 ii, 1.4 ii TC. RF 800 F/11. RF 24-105 F/4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Apologies for the late response, some health issues and I missed your post.

Actually, from my experience there have been similar issues with other brands, but since their market share is significantly smaller there are fewer voices expressing their discontent.  I'm not disagreeing that this is frustrating, but given these factors impact a lot of other things that are more critical to people's wellbeing - I have seen issues in other contexts with medical equipment deliveries, for example. The first line of my signature is a truth - if your home is flooded, or flattened by a tornado, or you are made redundant and lose your job, a delayed lens will suddenly be somewhat less tragic.

The fact is we have become used to a world of predictability, convenience and fast service.  Well, as factors like climate change (example Panama Canal issue) and conflict (Hormuz Strait bottleneck) start to become more prevalent, you can expect more to disruption to come.  The world has changed a lot since the COVID outbreak - people are more stressed, and that is expressed as frustration, lack of tolerance, political extremism, anger and antisocial behaviour.   We see it a bit on this forum from people who come to rant rather than seek solutions or explanations.

While I do a lot of photography, I am not dependent on any one piece of equipment, and I am not going to get myself in a twist over something I cannot control. I believe photography is more about technique than tech, and since I functioned perfectly well before I knew this or that gear existed, I can continue to do so until it turns up or I consider it economically viable.

I never personally pre-order gear, and usually wait until it has had some field use before purchasing, that way I am not tapping my fingers waiting in anticipation, and it's a lot less stressful.  However, communication is a different issue and I agree that silence in these situations is not golden.  I have worked with multiple large companies and can attest that not sharing bad news is a fairly common human characteristic in business and politics, and there are challenges in doing so when there are major variations.  What if I issue a statement that such-and-such is critically delayed, but some folks get that item right away and then accuse the vendor of crying wolf?  I have seen that happen with weather predictions: predicted bad weather never comes and the agency gets rubbished, so it they be more reticent to issue a warning for the next weather event, and if they don't and it causes strife, they are pilloried again.  Furthermore, as I have also said, it seems to be a cultural characteristic of Japanese society in particular to hold back from the perceived shame of admitting an issue.

All I can say is that if you feel that Canon is acting poorly and think that another vendor will perform better in that context, then I would sincerely suggest moving to them - it's your right as a consumer to vote with your feet.  I shoot Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Olympus and Sony and they are ALL great companies or they would not exist.  Just be aware switching platforms usually costs, so research their performance carefully.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

81 REPLIES 81

I understand, and sympathize.   I think it's not so much the delay as the not knowing.  If one had a definitive answer of something like "not until June", it might be tedious, but you would have a consolation of being able to count down to that.  Not knowing leaves one in a state of limbo: always hopeful and always disappointed on a daily basis.
As @icollector wisely said, one can use this time to gauge the experiences of others, learn more about its characteristics and evaluate examples.
I did that with R7 body, and while I had initially considered getting it, over time the experience of others and the samples made me move on - this unit was not for me.  I got my hands on a couple of units to test myself for a while and that confirmed my decision.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

A_Random_Dude
Enthusiast

Quite right. As someone much wiser than me once sang, "The waiting is the hardest part." 😁

I remember somebody telling me once (I forget the context), "The only cost to you will be patience." I rolled my eyes and said, "If patience were currency, I'd be in the poor house!" 🙄

But I'm looking at it this way: It's not like I desperately need the 200-800 at the moment, so when it's finally available to me, it'll be a nice addition to my kit. Until then, my 100-400 and Sigma 150-600 S are fine!

300D, 20D, 7D Mk II, 1DX Mk III, R6 Mk II, a few decent lenses, and plenty of questions. Also, a fair amount of impatience to get my hands on the 200-800 RF…

Reinerchick90
Contributor

It's strictly to keep demand high on it. It'd a sales tactic to increase revenue but keep demand high until they release a new lens. 

That is not substantiated by fact.  Canon lenses have held their prices for extended periods without them being withheld from the market.  The 200-800 is such a unique lens that it will be in demand for a long, long time.  You forget they make their money by actually selling lenses not holding them back, especially in the initial period when they have invested in the design and manufacture and want the sales volume to pay for that.   I expect that they are significantly more frustrated than you, but generating conspiracy theories is not going to resolve the issue. 

This situation is created by a multiplicity of factors: scarcity of some raw materials that China has been buying up, massive disruption to global trade through attacks by Iran and their proxies shutting down 90% of traffic through the Suez Canal, while the Panama canal is similarly constrained by lack of rainfall to fill the reservoirs that operate the locks to carry ships over the Panama Isthmus.   Those bottlenecks disrupt the transit of raw materials and manufactured goods and strands large numbers of containers in shipping hubs waiting (because they missed their connections) for on-shipping to their destinations across the globe.  Why supply chains have fallen apart 

The Panama canal still suffers a lack of water impact around 40% of all traffic:
Panama Canal Drought Slows Cargo Traffic - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

If you want to learn about this, see: 

Start at timestamp 20:45 if you want the crux of the issue on shipping complexity.  I might add since this video was  published, Iran has become directly involved in attacks and piracy in the approach to the Suez Canal.  To go to the Panama Canal issue, go to 52:33

cheers, TREVOR

It's OKAY that you do not understand basic sales & business tactics in 2024. I will not argue with someone online. I had 2 different Canon reps as well as have personally spoken to 2 Canon EOL photographers that have also, too, provided the same information. You can believe what you want and I shall do the same 🙂 

It's your choice to believe in conspiracy theories, but more importantly want to expound them, then don't expect not to get challenged.  BTW, I worked for some of the top fortune 100 companies and my sources are well-documented and authoritative.   I rely on material that is internationally respected and respected, it is referenced and actually demands that you spend the time and have the open mind to actually follow it.
You don't indicate that your sources support your position or mine.  But I seriously doubt any Canon rep would run down their own company by saying they are intentionally holding back supply - it beggars belief. 
Take your conspiracy theories elsewhere.

cheers, TREVOR

Cheers. I'm not interested in you or your "authoritative belief". Have a great day 😉 

[Removed name-calling]

Like most of your stuff, you're wrong again.  My name isn't Kevin. 

cheers, TREVOR

"Kevin" is in reference to a term. My truest apologies you feel the need to continue to be "the only right individual" and the pillar of truth in all. I hope you find some sort of joy in life. I, however, am not your joy in life nor do i wish to be. The desire to continue to seek me out is a little unsettling at best. Hopefully you can move on to finding someone else to bother. CHEERS

Please refamiliarize yourself with the Canon Community Guidelines, as we do not allow personal insults.

We want the community to be appropriate, friendly, informative, and fun for everyone. I am removing the name calling.

Please keep things to a lively debate, and do not be disrespectful.

Announcements