cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Lens Do You Recommend For Canon 70D

ugale11
Apprentice

So i just got my Canon 70D recently with the 18-55mm lens. What are other lens that is recommended for this Canon camera?

Im a beginner and mostly im doing portrait and cosplay photos but i sometimes do street photography but mainly i want to focus more on portrait and cosplay photos.

Im just slow surfing so i dont have a budget yet but any lens around 400$ will do.

Thanks in advance 🙂

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite

You can use any EF-S or EF lens with your camera.  One good lens that would be very versatile is the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM which costs $600 new.  Though it's available used at least at B&H Photo for around $400 (quality 8 to 9 out of 10).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

For your purposes, the 18-55 might meet most of your needs. Use it a while and see if you would like to go past 55 or wider than 18. Then you will know what lens to focus on. If you find you want a little longer than 55, Ricky's suggestion of the 18-135 is excellent. That is my walking around lens.

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

Since you are on a budget, have you considered used Canon lenses?  Most reputable camera shops have a selection of good used lenses, at great prices.  The reason I say reputable camera shop is because they test the lenses before reselling.  If there is anything wrong, they sell them as "not fully functional".  I have bought at least 20 used lenses this way over the (too many) decades.  I have never bought a bad one.  

The question I would ask at this point, when using your current 18-55mm do you wish you could get more into the photos (wider), or reach more distance (zooming in)?  If zooming, I agree with Ricky on the 18-135mm.  If wider, I would go with the 10-18 which you can get new for $299.

Gary

Digital: Canon: R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax: Spotmatic, K1000, K2000, Miranda: DR, Zenit: 12XP, Kodak: Retina Automatic II, Duaflex III

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"For your purposes, the 18-55 might meet most of your needs. Use it a while and see if you would like to go past 55 or wider than 18."

I like that suggestion a lot. If you find that is a good working FL, I always suggest people invest in the very much better in every way and a constant f2.8 aperture, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens when they want a better lens. This lens is as good as it gets for a crop series camera. An "L" level quality lens in all ways except the name. You can sell your current lens although it isn't worth much to help off set the cost.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements