Did you mean: 

Wedding Photography Lens?

Dlwilkinson
Contributor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

You already have a decent range.  Perhaps look into a macro lens (e.g. 100mm f/2.8 L) to capture detail shots.

Do you foresee having to capture very large groups of people?  If so, then a wider angle (wider than 24mm) could be very useful.

While not as good in lower-light, I think the 16-35mm f/2.8 would be way more versatile than the 35mm f/1.4 prime.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Dlwilkinson wrote:

Hi everyone! I am in the market for a new Canon EF lens. I have a few weddings booked for this year and I am fairly new to this industry. My current lenses include the Canon 70-200, 24-70mm 2.8, and the 85 1.2.  I am considering the 16-35mm 2.8 or the 35mm 1.4. What do you recommend? Any information or opinions would be greatly appreciated! 

Here is my honest opinion.  I think you need to cancel your wedding appointments, and first learn how to be a photographer.  Your forgetting to mention what camera body you are using speaks volumes about your experience level, as well as the fact that you’re even asking this question.

I know this response might sound a little harsh.  But, you are better off gaining some knowledge and experience with photography than destroying reputation and a new career for life.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

You already have a decent range.  Perhaps look into a macro lens (e.g. 100mm f/2.8 L) to capture detail shots.

Do you foresee having to capture very large groups of people?  If so, then a wider angle (wider than 24mm) could be very useful.

While not as good in lower-light, I think the 16-35mm f/2.8 would be way more versatile than the 35mm f/1.4 prime.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thank you for your insightful and useful input! Much appreciated!! ❤️

JDK4ASU
Apprentice

From what I have seen at weddings (and being the photo geek I am always talking to the photographers), and read about, Canon’s “holy trinity” would be perfect.  That would be the 16-35/F2.8Lii, 24-70/F2.8Lii and the 70-200/F2.8Lii.  All come in 4.0 at half the cost. Yet the only one, for a wedding at 4.0 that I would use is the 16-35.  If you can afford the 2.8 in the other two, go for it. Also on the 70-200 make sure to use either the MKii (possibly the best lens ever made!), or the newer MKiii version.  

Check out Vanessa Joy as she is a Canon Explorer of Light and one of the top wedding photographers in the world. She has a TON of stuff on her website and You Tube.  Sal Cincotta and Bob Davis are also great people to research and follow for weddings as they both are also educators and are terrific at both. All three have some sort of website, You Tube videos, B and H seminars and the like. Another great one is Pye Jersa who actually explains on his website for wedding clients what gear he uses.

I do echo an earlier commentator mentioned it and it is very true to learn your camera first.  Lenses just help get more creative.  But if know how to use them with the exposure triangle, you are golden!

Hope that helps and good luck!

Hope that helps!

Thank you for your response! I am continuously learning and practicing! I will definitely check out your suggestions! 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have a few thousand wedding under my belt. I can tell you what I use. Currently I have my 1DX and 1D Mk IV. I take six or seven batteries with me and fortunately both use the same battery. Eight or ten CF cards. My lens inventory is from 16mm to 400mm. Tripod and possibles bag. I always have a second shooter.

I will give you some advice here. It is unforgivable to screw up a brides wedding. They get really upset and understandably angry at you. Unless you have found someone that was going to use iphones for photos, you really need to know what you are doing.  What is going on and most importantly, it may be you thousandth wedding but is could be her first and only wedding.

Plus the several hours of actual shooting time turns into many long hours of post editing time. It is hard work and is stressful if you do a good job and take it seriously.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Dlwilkinson
Contributor

Thank you for your advice. I have a few weddings under my belt now. I still have quite a bit to learn. I am always looking for ways to improve my skills! It’s a tough industry but, I love it!! Thanks again!! 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Weddings are for the bride. Plain and simple. She is the main most important thing. Always keep her in mind and you will be fine.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Oh, BTW, a good wedding photographer is also the orchestrator and traffic cop for the service. Know your parties before hand.

EB
Announcements