cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wedding Lenses

arnold7d
Apprentice

What type of lens is best for close range shots at a wedding?  I use a 70-200mm f/2.8 USM IS II for long range shots.  My kit lens makes for "undesirable" quality shots.  

11 REPLIES 11

hsbn
Whiz

I use the 24-70 on Full frames 80% of all the weddings. I find zoom lens is more convenience. But most people out there root for the prime.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

cicopo
Elite

I don't shoot weddings (unless it's a family member) but I do know that the 16-35 F2.8 is another popular lens for up close work.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

I don't shoot weddings (unless it's a family member) but I do know that the 16-35 F2.8 is another popular lens for up close work.

Yikes.  I can't image there are too many brides that are flattered with how they look in UWA.

Depend on how you frame, it can be quite fascinating with UWA.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

@cicopo wrote:

Yikes.  I can't image there are too many brides that are flattered with how they look in UWA.

Depends on which body you use whether it's a UWA, and the pro who shot my daughter's wedding in Kauai used one heavily on a 1.3 body with very good results.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

"... used one heavily on a 1.3 body with very good results."

This is common with wedding photographers as I mentioned my 17-40mm f4.Smiley Happy

The three lens I use are the 17-40mm f4, 24-105mm f4 and the 70-200mm f2.8. But the 70-200 usually sits on my 5D Mk II.

Of course it depends on the church, too. I have run into some priests that won't allow very close proximity to the altar and I am forced to shoot the ceremony with my 100-400mm from the back of the church. It takes all kinds!!!!!!!!!!Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@cicopo wrote:

Depends on which body you use whether it's a UWA, and the pro who shot my daughter's wedding in Kauai used one heavily on a 1.3 body with very good results.

Yes, you're right, if you're using a 16-35 with a crop then obviously you won't get all the distortion.

Don't get me wrong, I love UWA, and the images they can create with subjects on the edges.  But usually it's not too flattering on human features. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I do a lot of weddings Smiley Happy and the 24-105mm f4 is on my 1D Mk III 90% of the time. It is a great all around lens and can be had at a very attractive price. I find the 24-70mm not long enough but if I need extra wide shots, I prefer the 17-40mm f4.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

PLee
Enthusiast

24-70mm f/2.8L USM II would be the best pairing for what you have already. If you are using a crop body and need something wider, then there are other options.

Announcements