cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tripod mount for EF 75-300mm to reduce shake?

kiba89
Apprentice

Hi all

I have a canon rebel dslr with the kit 75-300mm lens. I have been using it to shoot photos and video of my wife and I windsurfing, but when shooting video have noticed a lot of vibration from the wind.

I am already using a tripod, but I'm looking for other ways to reduce shake, and was considering getting a tripod ring mount to try to help this, but the trouble is this lens doesn't seem made to take a tripod mount ring.

Does anyone have advice for me? Are there mount rings that would work for this lens? Is that even worth it? Are there other ways I can reduce shake that you'd recommend?

15 REPLIES 15

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

I also have a big, heavy camera rig, and I've had a lot of shake problems with wind.

A flimsy tripod will shake in wind; a beefier tripod will help.  Also putting the tripod on a firm surface will help -- using spike feet on rock makes a big difference for me.

Finally -- and a bit weirdly -- I'm currently using a tripod with a bowl mount top, and no tripod head -- just a QR plate screwed directly on to the bowl.  I think this helps too, as the camera has less between it and the ground.  And it's less to carry.  But the bowl only provides a small adjustment range, so this only works when I need the camera basically straight and level.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Are there other ways I can reduce shake that you'd recommend?"

You need a better tripod. A good useable tripod is expensive so most guys cheap out and get one that isn't up to the task. You can add a sandbag or other hanging weight to the center section but only if yo uhave a good tripod.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I sorry to report that there isn’t a tripod ring available for the EF 75-300mm series of lenses.

I agree with the others.  It sounds like you need a beefier tripod if it can shake in the wind.  There are a couple of things you can do to reduce the effects of winds and gusts.  

First and foremost is lower the tripod column to its lowest position.  Lowering the CoG, Center of Gravity, of the rig can go a long way towards stabilizing it.  

Many tripods allow for the legs to set to different angles.  It is instinctive to use the tallest setting.  If your tripod legs can be spread out to different angles, then spread them out.  Many tripods allow up to three positions.  Try the middle position.

Finally, a better tripod head always helps.  The weight load limit of tripod legs and tripod heads is a mystic science.  I recommend a set of tripod legs and a tripod head that is rated for at least 20 pounds.  Buying gear that is rated for around 35 pounds will probably last much longer than the camera body.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The 75-300 (any version) is one of Canon's poorest lenses and does not have any image stabilization on the lens. Given that you cannot use a lens mount with this lens, if you want to get better quality and steadier shots, get the EF 70-300 IS USM MkII.  You can pick them up refurbished or second-hand for a reasonable price.  See my review on options for this focal length HERE 

No lenses in the range up to 300mm FL have lens tripod mounts.  If you want to get one to use on a tripod, then you have to look at something 400mm or above.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

....No lenses in the range up to 300mm FL have lens tripod mounts.  If you want to get one to use on a tripod, then you have to look at something 400mm or above.

Sorry, but this is incorrect.

In fact there are MANY Canon lenses shorter than 400mm focal length that either have a tripod mounting ring or the option to fit one:

- All Canon EF 70-200mm "L" lenses either come with or can optionally be fitted with a tripod mounting collar.

- Also the Canon EF 70-300mm "L" (optional).

- Plus the EF 28-300mm "L" and older EF 35-350mm "L" (included with both).

- Plus the Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L, EF 200mm f/2.8L II (optional), EF 200mm f/1.8L, EF 200mm f/2L, EF 300mm f/4L and EF 300mm f/2.8L lenses all have tripod mounting rings (except as noted).

- Also the Canon 65mm, 100mm and 180mm macro lenses all either include or optionally can be fitted with a tripod ring.

So there are at least eighteen to twenty current or previous Canon EF lenses shorter than 400mm focal length either come with or can optionally be fitted with a tripod mounting collar. This doesn't help the original poster, though... because none of the 75-300mm and the non-L 70-300mm Canon lenses cannot accommodate a tripod collar.

There ARE "long lens supports" available from several manufacturers. Typically those are a bracket that attaches to the 1/4" socket in the bottom of the camera and extends forward with a roller or cradle mechanism for the lens... I honestly don't know if any of them would be fit up to and be usable with an EF 75-300mm (probably a "III", if it was in kit with a recent camera). Do a search, but carefully check the adjustment limitations of any support you find.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

Hi Alan:  Thanks for pointing that out.

I get your point, and I agree with your statement as far as it goes.   I was basing my comment on three things:
1 limiting to a range of lenses with a max FL of 300, and
2 limiting the price point to the more economical lenses as that is what the OP seems to be at, and
3 Canon native lenses.

I agree about the 70-300L, I have that too, but that is at a price point I don't think will be valid
I also have the 28-300L (there is actually a 35-350L), but again they are very expensive, heavy and relatively rare.

Your advice is well expressed and if one looks outside the Canon brand there may be some solutions.  I tend to avoid putting collars on lenses that were not specifically designed for them.  I even noted on one (non-Canon) lens warranty that doing so would render it invalid.

So, agree I could have been clearer, but I don't think that renders my advice any less valid.  I think your covers a wider field and applaud you for that.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

Oh and if your tripod has a centre column, don't use it.  Those things are just wobble crazy.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Oh and if your tripod has a centre column, don't use it."

Oh, also not true. It depends on the tripod. Get a cheap tripod and you get  a "wobble" center column. Get a good tripod and you don't. If you are not in the $200+ range you probably got a wobble tripod.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I'm well above the $200 range (though not in the Sachtler range) and I still never use the centre column.  It's just physics -- a column extending above where the legs meet just can't be as stable as not using it.  Just how bad that is obviously depends on how heavy your camera is -- mine is huge relative to stills cams.  I'm not saying the centre column is actually loose (yes, that's a cheap tripod thing, for sure) but any movement at all will be amplified if I use it, like in a gusty wind.

Announcements