cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 Lens with R10?

Cantrell
Enthusiast

Looking at a used R10 package that includes the above lens. Any thoughts on using this lens with a R!0. Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Cantrell,

I'd say make sure it's well supported, like on a tripod. That lens weighs around 2.5 lbs.The R10 is pretty light, and it seems like it would pull down on the lens/camera contacts if it's not supported well.

Steve Thomas

Stevet1,

Thank you.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The lens if used with a Canon adapter will work well with the R10.  The lens is sold by Sigma with a tripod collar.  While handheld is possible, stevet1's suggestion of a tripod is a good suggestion for extended shoots.  This would be a very nice beginner wildlife set up.  Worth mentioning, buying used gear without a warranty or recourse can be risky.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Shadowsports,

Thank you for your response.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think you would be better off with a Canon  RF mount lens than a lens designed for DSLRs a decade ago. For example….

IMG_0163.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle,

Thank you for your response.

Relatively new camera being sold as a package with a relatively old lens?  As Shadowsports  opted, buyer beware. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" As Shadowsports  opted, buyer beware."

Otherwise, the lens is, and has been, proven many thousands of times over to be top notch. The suggestion of sticking with an RF lens like the 100-400mm also gets my support except if you want more than 400mm which I totally understand. The old saying you can never have a fast enough lens and you can never have too much focal length usually rings true.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'd say make sure it's well supported, ... it seems like it would pull down on the lens/camera contacts if it's not supported well."

I don't know where some of these comments come from but with virtually any super tele on any camera you are going to hold and support the camera/lens combo by the lens. Not the camera. This is simply common sense.

As for a tripod it will certainly help hold the lens, and probably make it impossible to shoot birds in flight or any other moving subject especially if it moves quickly. A monopod might be the better choice but hand holding is still best. I hand hold a Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens on a 1DX with no issue so a Sigma C model on an R10 shouldn't present much of an issue. If it does and I know there are some folks that just can't do it, they need to select a different hobby or perhaps do make use of that monopod.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements