cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T7i Lens for Astronomical Photos

TMike
Apprentice

I have the 75-300, 1:4-5.6 III.  I get good pictures of the moon, I have a difficult focusing on Jupiter and Saturn, especially with screen.  I am looking at a faster lens.  However, not sure what the limitations of the camera might restrict choices.  I have experimented with the manual settings without satisfactory results.

Looking for Lens recommendations or am I expecting too much for this camera?

Is the 75-200, 2.8 overkill for the T7?

Thanks for you advice!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Almost [any] current Canon camera would work well for Astrophotography, including the T7i.  I think the small size and lighter weight are advantages.  

Fast super telephoto lenses are costly. I think a Sigma 100-400 or 150-600 would be a good match with a T7i. A better body depends on your budget   Any of the recent R series bodies would be an upgrade. Take your pick R10, R7, or. R6. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Almost [any] current Canon camera would work well for Astrophotography, including the T7i.  I think the small size and lighter weight are advantages.  

Fast super telephoto lenses are costly. I think a Sigma 100-400 or 150-600 would be a good match with a T7i. A better body depends on your budget   Any of the recent R series bodies would be an upgrade. Take your pick R10, R7, or. R6. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your kind reply.  This is were I'm at in choosing a lens.  I am looking at the Sigma lens you suggested and I found a Tamron one to consider. [link removed per forum guidelines - replaced with description] Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DI VC USD G2 Lens for Canon EF-Mount {95} with Tripod Mount (A022).

My dilemma is getting a faster lens with lower zoom with getting faster shutter and digitally enhance.  Thus getting more detailed bird wings or planet movement.
Or getting a slower lens with higher magnification.
One use is taking movies at school band's half time performance at night under stadium lights.  Though bright lights, sill a lot of shadows when zooming in.
I can get a used Canon 75-200 f2.8 used with excellent condition rating in the $700 to $1100 range. 
The after market  new ones in 100 to 600 or 75 to 400 f5 with good stabilization, lens coating, auto focus.
However, some sources claim that Canon won't license 3 party mfgs to take advantage of their features.
I appreciate your input.  As you realize, I am  in the ignorant in this subject.
thanks Mike

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I think you are asking too much of both the camera and the lens."

You are asking too much from the lens but not the camera. I would not discourage you from upgrading but if another Rebel is what you want you need to go with the T8i. Not a T7i. If you want a real upgrade the 90D is an outstanding choice providing you want to stay DSLR and Canon. However, you can take great photos of the Moon with your T7.  Even deep sky stuff. The problem is your lens or lenses.

Keep in mind it is always daylight on the Moon. It is only night time here on Earth. So a super fast lens isn't really needed.

The Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 (example there are others) is a manual, wide-angle camera lens that comes in Canon EF mount and a great choice for deep sky photos. One of the 150-600mm super zooms from Sigma or Tamron is about all you have in a reasonably priced big lens. Photos of planets really need telescopes and tracking devices with heavy duty tripods.

BTW, one of the 150-600mm super zooms will be best choice for wildlife. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements