cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting with better quality camera and lenses

WB_Historic
Apprentice

I have been using a decent compact point and shoot.  It is time to add a better-quality camera and lenses but still want to stay on a budget.  The best choice appears to be an RP and am debating on the package with the EF 24-105 with the EF adapter or just going RF all the way.  What is the tradeoff for convenience and image quality using the adapter and EF lenses versus just using RF lenses?  Can I save a lot of money with EF lenses?  Is that a penny-wise and pound-foolish question?  I mostly like to shoot architecture, historic, and abandonment.  At this time, I plan to buy something like a 14-35, a 24-105 or a 70-200?, and maybe a zoom lens.  What do you recommend?  Thanks! 

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

It would help to have a bit more detail, for example you say: "still want to stay on a budget", but we have no idea what that budget is, and that's significant - it decides what limit you have on what we can suggest

Can I suggest you review the following post and consider the questions it poses, then come back with your considerations.  We can certainly help, but the less we know about your specific needs and criteria that more you are likely to get other folks' preferences that may, or may not, work for you.

Considerations for buying camera gear 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you have no EF gear at the moment don't buy any if you are going R series. The future is R not EF.

"I have been using a decent compact point and shoot."

Normally I would never say this or recommend it but if you were happy with your P&S camera, why not check out the M50 Mk II. It is essentially a P&S that you can change lenses on.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Normally I would never say this or recommend it but if you were happy with your P&S camera, why not check out the M50 Mk II"  Knock me over with a feather Ernie! 😮  I never thought I would see the day!!!

I shall wait to see what our OP comes back with before making a commitment to a suggestion.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" ""Normally I would never say this or recommend it but if you were happy with your P&S camera, why not check out the M50 Mk II"  Knock me over with a feather Ernie! 

ebiggs1_0-1667485617151.png

I never thought I would see the day!!!" "

P&S is all the M50 series is or ever was. If you have/had success with a P&S why not? I own and use a G1X and love it. I had a G15 before it. So I am not anti-P&S at all, if that's what a person wants. I think I have been pretty consistent on that point. My main most thing is why an M series when the Powershot cameras are so good? Ya wanna change lenses, OK, fine, buy a M50 Mk II. You want a real camera buy an R series!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements