cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something to save up for: the RF 200-500 f/4 with 1.4 integrated extender!

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Wow... 

RF200-500L.jpg

Canon Rumors on RF 200-500 f/4 + 1.4x extender 

This would be an awesome lens and would silence a few of those demanding an answer to Sony and Nikon lenses of similar FL.  The integrated extender would allow fast switching to achieve that extra reach for not much loss in speed.

There was a video posted about the design of such a lens about a year ago when the patent was lodged:

If the analysis of this lens is correct, it would be internally zooming and very fast focusing.  I dread to wonder how much this will cost...

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Not sure but I thought the lens wasn't going to include the integrated 1.4x TC for weight savings.  Going to be a great lens either way 😀

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick!
I had a suspicion that is what happened to the RF 100-300f/2.8, but like you, I'm not sure.  I know that several reviewers bemoaned the lack of a built-in extender in that lens but being a 2.8 it would be significantly heavy and bulky.  That is why I am hoping the Canon Rumors site is correct in their suggestion that the integrated extender is included, in the 200-500 as at f/4 the lens should be somewhat more compact,.

The image from Canon Rumors does show a 1.4 extender built-in, so I live in hope!
RF200-500 1.4x..jpg

Either way, these are exciting lenses, but likely to cost a small fortune..

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I do not dread the price.  I’m certain that it will be out of my budget for my needs, and well over $10K USD.  I’d expect it to be closer to $15k than $10k.  The built-in TC is a good thing.  This would be an awesome lens for sports and wildlife.

I’ve seen YouTube reviewers discussing the lack of a built-in TC in the 100-300mm.  I would not think that it would add significant weight.  For the asking price, they could have added in the TC.  But, I suspect that doing so could hurt sales of its bigger brothers.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Well Bill, I rather suspect that this will be even more so for me, given that the NZ dollar is about 65cUS, Canon adds a healthy markup in NZ and my government adds 15% on all that for GST!

Definitely think the extender is a great idea and worth the weight. To be able to instantly uprate as necessary the FL on this fast lens would be brilliant.

cheers, TREVOR

ctitanic
Enthusiast

Photography is an expensive hobby. For most of us having a $10000 is just a dream and something that only professionals can buy as a tool that will allow them to make more money in another words an investment that is tax deductible.  

Having an integrated extender to me is a brilliant idea. If I had an integrated extender in my EF70-200 L f2.8 lens probably that would become my preferred lens. 

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I still believe its not going to have the built in TC 🤣

shadowsports_0-1685710741807.png

The first image is a rendering?  Maybe  🤔.  It will be pricey either way.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements