cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sigma DG Lens Compatibility with EOS R10

nowstanding
Apprentice

I found a Sigma DG 28-300 in my storage recently, it's great because it combines both my 200mm and 20mm in one. 

So, I have already got an adapter for my Cannon EOS R10 which I am using at the moment to shoot with (NIK-F to RF adapter) the Sigma DG lens fits and attaches however it does not seem to be making the connection with the camera. When I click to take a photo or video it does not want to which is why I am inquiring. When I attach this to my Cannon EOS 650D it has no problems but I would really like it to work with my R10. 

Is this a problem with the adapter or something else? 

I would deeply appreciate any insight into this situation of mine. 

All the best.

9 REPLIES 9

nowstanding
Apprentice

I have seen that in a cameras setting you can enable "shoot without lens attached" Does anyone think this could resolve the issue?

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Using stacked adapters is always going to be problematic and this is a question that really should be addressed to Sigma.  Canon do not offer support for third-party lenses, particularly ones that are provided with a lens mount for a completely different brand of camera system.  At a cost, Sigma can re-mount their lenses with a different brand mount, and that might be worth pursuing.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

So as I understand it, you're putting a lens made for Nikon on to a Canon camera.  This won't work if the lens is electronic.  The communications protocols that Nikon and Canon cameras use to communicate with their lenses are completely different and incompatible.

So, if that lens is an electronic, autofocus lens (and it looks like it), then there will be no way to focus it.

You might ask, then why does the adapter exist.  The answer is for all-manual, mechanical lenses, where the only "communication" with the camera is that it physically fits.  Lenses like that are commonly used in film-making; look for lenses by Meike, Cooke, Zeiss, Laowa, DZO, etc etc etc.

So sorry, but I think you're out of luck.  For electroinic (autofocus) lenses, you need to match the make of the lens to the make of the camera.

If you use a mechanical lens, you will need to set "shoot without lens attached" in the menu.

If you want to know more about lens compatibility, I wrote an article about that: https://moonblink.info/MudLake/gear/lenses

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Written right on the spec info for the NIK-F to RF adapter. "Automatic functions are not supported with this adapter. You need to manually adjust focus and exposure settings."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ctitanic
Rising Star

Summarizing: Adapting lenses from another camera brand into Canon it's a bad idea, specially into the most complex RF mount. Using EF lenses from other brands in the R ecosystem may work and may not. Before buying the lens you need to do a deep research and find owners of that lens that can confirm that will work in your camera.

By using a lens designed for another camera brand in your Canon you are stepping into a gray area, Canon will not support you or help you neither the other brand company. Too many headaches. My advise, sell the Nikon lens on ebay or try to exchange it in MPB or KEH. You may harm your R10 trying to use an adapted lens designed for another camera brand. Even in the case that tweaking, hacking either the lens, adapter or the R10 you get it to work it will not be perfect, you will end with an unreliable combination. Just my opinion. 

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.

There is no grey area.  The communication protocols used by Nikon and Canon to talk to their lenses are completely different.  So if you put an electronic Nikon lens on a Canon body, there's no way it can work.

A fully mechanical lens will work, in general, with the right adapter.  But the lens has to be fully mechanical, and you are going to be adjusting focus and aperture manually.

There are actually adapters which will do communication protocol conversion -- but they are few and far between.  If the adapter doesn't specifically state that it will adapt your lens to your camera, then you should assume that it won't work.  Even if it does, it may provide only a subset of the features you would expect.

Grey area because by adapting a Nikon lens in a Canon camera basically you are doing something where you do not have support of either company, that's what I call grey area.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"There is no grey area.  The communication protocols used by Nikon and Canon to talk to their lenses are completely different. "

No there is no gray area. Gray area assumes there is some  support on the fringes and in this case there is not even that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Well, you can find some support in forums, etc. But no any official support. This is why I still call it "Grey Area".

Frank
Announcements