cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sigma Art lenses on the Canon R7 - Image Stabilization Affected

BrianDavies
Enthusiast

I made a discovery a few days ago and thought I would share it. If you place certain (maybe all which have the feature) Sigma Art lenses on the Sigma dock and turn ON "full-time manual focus", you lose IBIS on the R7 when using that lens. The IBIS icon has a line through it and the word OFF next to it, The menu item for Image Stabilisation also disappears.

Placing the lens back on the dock and turning OFF "full-time manual focus" immediately brings IBIS back with that lens. The 2 lenses for which I had turned on that feature were the Sigma 50-100mm 1.8 Art lens and the Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art lens.  My EF version of the Samyang 85mm 1.4 lens turns off the camera's IBIS too, but I don't have its dock to see if it has the same feature turned on by default or maybe a different feature is causing the issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, the camera's IBIS immediately turned off as soon as those particular lenses were fitted to the camera, regardless of whether I was in stills mode or video mode. I did try video mode when I discovered it disappeared in stills mode. Turning the "full-time manual focus" feature off immediately turned IBIS back on in the camera.

No issues at all with Canon EF/RF lenses or Tamron lenses. The Sigma Art lenses work flawlessly with that feature turned off.
I will let Sigma know of the issue as they would definitely have to issue a new firmware update at their end. I won't be turning the feature back on, even if they do, as it is not a big feature anyway.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Brian,

Interesting observation.  I'll have to let others comment, as neither of my body's have ibis.  Its not a feature I've missed thus far and I knew going in the R5 C didn't have it.  All of my lenses have IS and I'm satisfied with it.  I also don't have a need to enable full time MF using my dock since it can be switched off easily.  Do you not get satisfactory results turning off AF on the lens and putting the camera into "M" mode?  I assume this is for video purposes?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I shoot stills and not video. "Full time manual focus" is a feature on most modern lenses which works out of the box. If your camera is focusing on wrong thing, after it locks focus, you can manually adjust while still holding the shutter button half-way. It is not a big deal and I have no issue switching to MF, but it is handy if it is a one-off manual focus operation when you are generally autofocusing.

There is clearly a communication issue with the Sigma lens' firmware and the R7 body which is turning off IBIS when using a supposedly unrelated feature.

I only posted my comment to let others know who may not be getting IBIS and either think they can't have it when using those lenses, or are unaware they are not getting it. In FB, one guy thanked me and was thrilled because he simply assumed his Sigma Art lens couldn't enjoy IBIS on the R7. He turned off that focus feature and instantly got IBIS.

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

You may have come across an incompatibility between your camera and 3rd party gear. I would check to see if a firmware update is available.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 430EX III-RT, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D, Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM & EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

There is definitely an incompatibility issue between the camera and lens, fortunately a minor one. I had actually put the lens on the dock to update firmware, which turned out to be up-to-date already and while I was there, turned on the "full-time manual focus" feature. In a way I was lucky that the firmware was up-to-date or I would have assumed the new firmware had messed up the camera's IBIS when using that lens. Knowing I had changed only one setting, I changed it back, instantly bringing the IBIS back. The lens works flawlessly in every other way. It is very sharp and can keep up with the high burst rate of the camera.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Do you get the same results shooting handheld or using a tripod?  

Do you get the same results in either Stills or Video shooting modes?

If your Canon EF lenses function as expected, then any firmware update may have to come from Sigma to update their lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes, the camera's IBIS immediately turned off as soon as those particular lenses were fitted to the camera, regardless of whether I was in stills mode or video mode. I did try video mode when I discovered it disappeared in stills mode. Turning the "full-time manual focus" feature off immediately turned IBIS back on in the camera.

No issues at all with Canon EF/RF lenses or Tamron lenses. The Sigma Art lenses work flawlessly with that feature turned off.
I will let Sigma know of the issue as they would definitely have to issue a new firmware update at their end. I won't be turning the feature back on, even if they do, as it is not a big feature anyway.

Announcements