cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sigma 150-600mm lens came today!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

It was on sale so I ordered it Monday afternoon and got it about lunch time today! B&H was most helpful in setting up an account. Probably won't be using it for a while as SWMBO set her foot down, "No more stuff for your camera!" Package came in perfect condition. Everything checked out and need to read the manual as it seems to cover a wide range of possibilities for photos. We are on a flyway for the sandhill crane migration. I have take some photos but my 300mm lacks the needed close shots. Looking forward to learning to use it and post photos in the future.

Any advice/suggestions are most welcome.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
29 REPLIES 29

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Until the cranes come back, there is always the moon.

Yep. Indications are the cranes are showing already. Birchwood, TN has a Crane Festival, January 16-17, 2022. It will be virtual due to the crowds. The wildlife area is about 25 minutes away. Will see if it is open. Saw the moon earlier when we took our puppies out. We have birds, squirrels and an occasional rabbit in the back yard. The most we have now is 300mm on my T7; wife's SX530 HS is maxed at 150mm. We had a Cooper's hawk but he is rarely seen in our yard now. Will post some photos with the new lens. Need to read the instructions. Real men read instructions!

John

If you have not done so, I strongly recommend getting the docking station for this lens.  It allows you to update the firmware (rather necessary) and to customize a lot of the functions for IS for example.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor, I got the dock as it was also on sale. Can't pass up a sale. I would rather not need it and have it as not have it and need it. The wife knows what I bought. We have never bought big items without the other one knowing it. This lens will be birthday/anniversary/Christmas for the next five years!

John

The dock offers two benefits:
1. The ability to update firmware, and Sigma have had several updates to tweak their system, especially for specific camera systems.
2. The ability to customize the C-series of switches for specific types of subject that you may want to shoot.
3.  As I recall, the ability to perform micro-adjustments on the lens

I am glad you got it on sale! Merry Christmas!!! 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

+1 on Trevor's suggestion.  Sigma USB dock for Canon EF. (wife doesn't have to know) its inexpensive anyway.

Definitely ready the manual.  You'll be surprised at what you'll learn about this lens.  

Recommend FW 2.01 or later for best experience.  I didn't have to make any focus adjustments to mine.  

Firmware download | Support | 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary | Lenses | SIGMA Corporation...

Best part, you can relax now.  Now more need to sneak up on birds, you'll have the reach.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I didn't have to make any focus adjustments to mine.  

I am not and would not tell you to not buy the dock but you may never need it. If the lens is doing what you want and need it to the dock won't make any difference.

One big misconception about super telephotos is your ability to shoot small subject, like birds, form a great distance. This is totally false. A small bird shot at distance even with a super tele will still be a small bird in your photo. The best use of a super tele is to increase the subject, a small bird, size to more fill the frame. However, this requires you to be at or very nearly at the same distance as you were with your 300mm lens.

There usually is no magic bullet in photography. And, used incorrectly, you may not, will not, see much improvement with the new super zoom. The on point advice of, to get closer to your subject is still the main most thing. The reason I mention this is, I get the feeling you thought the big Siggy will make shooting birds from a greater distance possible. It won't!

It will have a learning curve so take your time and don't get discouraged if the first shots are less than perfect. Keep in mind you are dealing with a lot of focal length ay 960mm. That is huge FL in anybodies book. As magnification increase so does all the other photo destroyers by the same amount.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

...there is always the moon.

Absolutely, and a nice steady reliable subject. 😁

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

How is the 960 figured? Curious.

John
Announcements