cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sigma 150-600 lens

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I haven't used it as much as I anticipated with miserable hot weather down here. Outdoor activities are very limited. Yesterday, I did have a chance to use it to shoot some photos of an eagle nesting platform off the TN Hwy 60 bridge over the Hiwassee River. I was very careful to mount it on the tripod as it is very heavy as you know. I'll download the photos and post a couple later this week. Thanks for the advice before I bought it.👍

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I haven't used it as much as I anticipated ..."

Common for the more specialized lenses like the 150-600mm super zooms. And, the more specialized lens you get will likely receive even less use like a fisheye for instance. As to weight you have one of the lightest lenses in this type there is. After all 600mm is no joke and no easy way to make them "lighter". However if its weight is still a concern you might try to find a used ef 400mm f5.6L It is the lightest super tele I know of. It is very hand holdable for almost anybody. It is a prime of course and has great IQ and about the same f5.6 ability.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Thanks, EB. Another lens isn't in the budget right now but will note your suggestion. Is the 400mm Canon or another brand?  I marvel at the huge lenses used by media at baseball games. I can see why they use monopods.

John

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I thought the birds were bald eagles but a wildlife officer said they are ospreys.

John

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The ef 400mm f5.6L is a Canon lens, notice the "ef", and it is only available used since it has been discontinued. If you find the 150-600mm too heavy, sell it and buy the 400mm . It is the lightest super tele and IQ and value there is. Even at 400mm instead of 600mm you are still looking at a 640mm equivalent  FL. That is still a lot of FL and a lot more manageable.

EB

Not worried about the weight but takes care in using it and mounting it to a monopod or tripod. Selling it would take a beating from what I paid for it. Checking and found that it has gone up in price since I purchased the Sigma 150-600.

John

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  as it is very heavy as you know."

I guess I didn't take that statement correctly. For what it is, it is not a particularly heavy lens. Mostly plastic.  But I suppose it is all what you are used to doing and using or carrying. 

EB

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

What I am going to say is obviously based on my personal situation - my age, but more importantly my state of health.  I don't know your situation, so this advice is given with that caveat.

I shoot with the 150-600c and s versions.  The latter is significantly heavier than the c version, and I carry one of these along with usually two camera bodies, each with a different lens and both with battery packs attached.   What it encourages me to do is weight training - not heavy duty stuff, but 3kg (about 7lb) but with lots of reps to improve muscular strength.  One of the big challenges to getting older is loss of muscle mass that is a significant factor in our degeneration as we age. Doing weights on a regular basis - I do a work-out between 3-4 times per week - not only increases the size and strength of our muscles, but also improves muscular innovation and that improves our sense of balance: a major risk for we older folks.

The good thing is that, if done carefully, it can be achieved at any age.  I work as a volunteer with folks in their 80's and 90's and they get noticeable improvements in their well-being, avoidance of falls and they feel better from the release of endorphins (our happy hormones) that are released after exercise.  If you find this concept, and its benefits, of interest I would recommend taking to your doctor first, then a fitness professional.  It's the cheapest health regime you will ever invest in.  When there are days I don't feel like doing the weights ( and those happen!), I remind myself it's so I can carry the gear I want to shoot with, and that inspires me, it also helps me to be able to shoot with this gear hand-held and thus get shots I would otherwise never achieve.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Heavy but tolerable is what I would term the 150-600 lens compared to the 75-300.

John
Announcements