cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safari lens suggestions for EOS R7

bishopjab
Apprentice

Hello All, 

I have a EOS Rebel TL1 and lenses EF-S 18-55mm and EF-S 55-250mm. 

I am purchasing a EOS R7 for an upcoming Safari trip in South Africa and want some advice on what would be the best lenses to purchase for this camera to compliment the old EF-S lenses I already have. Best bang for my buck. would like to keep the total cost of any lenses i were going to purchase to under $1,000 us dollars. Is this a good strategy? Also i have read that the mount adapter for EF-S lenses to the R7 is best if I stay with Canon? is that true and what is the proper mount adapter?

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

bishopjab,

You'd probably have better luck if you stick with the Canon EF-EOS R adapter. It runs about $130.00.

I ran across a website that has their recommendations for the best Canon mirrorless lenses for wildlife photography:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Mirrorless-Camera-Wildlife-Lens.aspx

They seem to run in the 400-500mm range.

Steve Thomas

View solution in original post

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

On a $1k budget and if you are wanting to buy an adapter to use your EF-S lenses on the R7, I see 2 front runner lenses you may want to consider.

I agree with Steve's suggestion.  Go with a Canon adapter.  Either plain or with the control ring.  Whatever you can find.  Refurb is great.  

I believe you'll want more reach than the 55-250mm.  

2 options you might consider.  

RF100-400 - Natively supported on the R7, and will give a FOV equivalent of 560mm. Might find it refurb at Canon.  I own one, its good, but depends on the distance to the subject.  

Other, Sigma or Tamron EF150-600mm.  This will fit adapted on your R7 and will provide excellent reach.  It would be my choice for African Safari on a budget.  I'd dedicate it as my super zoom.

Its dry and dusty there.  Anything you can do to to minimize exposure to dust is worth it. Lens changes means dust inside your camera.  Taking gear to Africa...  I'd CarePak my gear if possible.  Don't worry about the TL1.  It's a back up.

Let's see what others say to.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

bishopjab,

You'd probably have better luck if you stick with the Canon EF-EOS R adapter. It runs about $130.00.

I ran across a website that has their recommendations for the best Canon mirrorless lenses for wildlife photography:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Mirrorless-Camera-Wildlife-Lens.aspx

They seem to run in the 400-500mm range.

Steve Thomas

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

On a $1k budget and if you are wanting to buy an adapter to use your EF-S lenses on the R7, I see 2 front runner lenses you may want to consider.

I agree with Steve's suggestion.  Go with a Canon adapter.  Either plain or with the control ring.  Whatever you can find.  Refurb is great.  

I believe you'll want more reach than the 55-250mm.  

2 options you might consider.  

RF100-400 - Natively supported on the R7, and will give a FOV equivalent of 560mm. Might find it refurb at Canon.  I own one, its good, but depends on the distance to the subject.  

Other, Sigma or Tamron EF150-600mm.  This will fit adapted on your R7 and will provide excellent reach.  It would be my choice for African Safari on a budget.  I'd dedicate it as my super zoom.

Its dry and dusty there.  Anything you can do to to minimize exposure to dust is worth it. Lens changes means dust inside your camera.  Taking gear to Africa...  I'd CarePak my gear if possible.  Don't worry about the TL1.  It's a back up.

Let's see what others say to.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for your suggestions!  I think I will purchase EF-EOS R adapter as Steve suggested,  the RF 100- 400 and was also thinking of the RF 50 F/1.8???

March411
Enthusiast

Hey Bishop, we just booked the a very similar trip for early next year. Do you have any type of weight restrictions? We can only bring 33lbs so I picked up the 100-400mm refurbished with a converter. With the R6 MII I'll be right around 3lbs. I picked it up in for $520 and added a CarePak, they are out of stock right now but worth keeping an eye out for one. 

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many EF lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for image processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/

I don’t have any weight restrictions. Which is creating problems deciding what cameras and lenses to bring. I am struggling, I am wanting to bring everything. My old rebel and the ef 18to55mm ef 50to250mm the new r7 the rf 100to400mm.  I am also still trying to figure out if I want to purchase  rf35 or rf50 or rf24 ??? If I can only purchase one of those 3 then which one???

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

From a field of view perspective, you really don't need any of them, but the RF 24mm will give you 2 more stops of light over the EF 18-55, so useful for dawn or dusk on the R7.  There are as many reasons to buy vs not to buy since you have EF-S lenses on the TL1 in these FL's.  Buy a few memory cards and 2 or more spare batteries the for R7 should also be considered.  Also a 67mm clear filter for the front of my RF 100-400.  This is a matter of personal preference.  I put a clear filter on all of my lenses, just to help keep them clean.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

March411
Enthusiast

I'm looking at both the RF35 and RF24 myself but both in macro for a trip to Costa Rico. I'm leaning towards the 24mm, on an APC it would equivalent of a 35mm. Canon has a RF24mm in their refurbished section right now with a decent review for $480 if you decide to go that direction.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many EF lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for image processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements