cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.Repair scratches on lens

Starr94
Apprentice

Lens has slight  surface scratches like a rubbed square or sand paper looking scatch. It was a display model. Will the scatches get worse over time with cleaning or get dirt stuck in it? It doesnt effect the image quality right now, but im worried the same scatch could later....Its not a hair line scratch its like a surface patch rubb. Are there Ways to repair with some sort of fluid maybe?

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Get a refund.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Get a refund.

+1 for refund...  the only thing that lens will give you over the course of its life is regret.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" Are there Ways to repair with some sort of fluid maybe?"

Most surface scratches are OOF so they don't effect the resulting photo. However, if they get bad enough they can spread the light in harmful ways.  It will show up as a soft spot or part of the photo. The problem you describe really bothers me as it probably removed the very important surface coating.  There is no fix short of replacing the front element.  You did not mention what lens it is and how much of a discount you got.  I can't recommend on how to proceed without that knowledge.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tim
Authority

Hello Starr94, 

I understand that there seems to be light scratches on the lens.  This is unfortunate to hear, and I'm sorry the lens was received by you in this condition.  It's hard to say whether the scratches you seen can be buffed out or if this will worsen over time.  If the coating has been compromised, it's possible the scratch will affect the optics.  Only a Canon Factory Service Center can assess the condition of the lens to determine the extent of this damage.  I've included the web address for setting up service below.    

There are several things to consider when this is the case in a situation where you were sold the display model.  One is just that, you were sold the display model and one can only assume it was presented to you and sold in an 'as-is" condition.  Hence, it being a display it was probably marked down accordingly.  

The warranty from Canon wouldn't cover the cost of a replacement, so if you were seeking a refund, it would need to be done through the original purchaser, and according to their terms.  If you wished to send it in through the Canon warranty, we encourage you to do so through the link shown below. 

Canon Support and Service

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

How long have you had the lens for? Is it still under warranty? Did you get a big discount for it? I would return if if that is a viable option. If this lens is something you would consider keeping for a long time, then I would return and get a new.

LV

Announcements