cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best lense/settings for shooting cars/nature?

ZiggyJeep
Apprentice

Hey yall, im new here and to photography in general. i recently got a Cannon Eos rebel t6 with EF-S 18-55m f/ 3.5-5.6 IS ll lense as well as EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lll lense. and im trying to figure out what all would be best for shooting cars mainly and nature as well (during hikes etc). I do plan on getting the "for dummies" book for camera as well as some online classes possibly but trying to get as much info as i can overall.

im assuming that the 18-55mm is for closer subjects while other is for longer distances? and would i need to buy any other accessories/lenses that i could get to optimize my shots? thanks

38 REPLIES 38

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The lenses you have are fairly low-end, but still should cover most of your needs. I suggest you use them and see how they work for you.

The 18-55 is good for wide angle landscapes and general walking around. (Though I have preferred a little more in the telephoto side, 15-85 or 18-135)

The 75-300 is for things that are far away when it is not practical to get closer, i. e, wild life, racing cars...

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...would i need to buy any other accessories/lenses that i could get to optimize my shots?"

Learn to use and learn what your current gear does.  They may do all you want but you won't know until you try.  Buying better gear doesn't guarantee better photos.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...would i need to buy any other accessories/lenses that i could get to optimize my shots?"

Learn to use and learn what your current gear does.  They may do all you want but you won't know until you try.  Buying better gear doesn't guarantee better photos.

Quite so. The most common mistake that aspiring photographers make is to keep buying new equipment as a substitute for study and practice. Better equipment will make almost any photographer better, but how much better depends on how good you already are. The better you already are, the more difference better equipment makes.

As I write this, I'm sitting here awaiting delivery of my new 5D Mark IV. Do as I say, not as I do.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Quite so. The most common mistake that aspiring photographers make is to keep buying new equipment as a substitute for study and practice. Better equipment will make almost any photographer better, but how much better depends on how good you already are. The better you already are, the more difference better equipment makes.

As I write this, I'm sitting here awaiting delivery of my new 5D Mark IV. Do as I say, not as I do.

Well said. I started shooing film years ago and I remember back in the day you had one lens and you made due with it for almost everything. I didn't even realize I had that many choices early on mostly due to the fact that I was new to the carmera world and secondly I was poor. I was using my fathers hand me down AE1 in the early 1980's and just loved shooting and learning to develop film from a good family friend. Over the years I have said the same to many friends that get into photography. Learn to shoot before you learn to upgrade. A great camera in the hands of a person who doesn't understand the basics is mediocre at best. Lens as well. I am still learning and trying to get outside of my comfort zones. Exploring new places and put more effort into getting the shot. 

Robert - are you upgrading from the 5D MK3? I just picked my 5D MKIV up a couple of weeks ago. I love the camera. I finally used the Remote Connect from my iPhoneX to the Canon Camera. Sent picks from a wedding I was attending to my parents and some friends who were attending. I was a really nice feature to have. 

@khanh970 wrote:

Robert - are you upgrading from the 5D MK3? ... 

Sort of. What I'm really doing is adding the 5D4 to my kit and juggling the roles of the rest of my cameras. Last fall I put my second 7D on permanent loan to my daughter, which provided the excuse to add the 5D4. The 5D3 will serve as the second camera in my two-camera setup, replacing my remaining 7D, which will be the backup for my cameras and for my wife's 7D2. Now if Trump's trade war makes Japanese cameras prohibitively expensive, I at least have what I need for the foreseeable future.

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@khanh970 wrote:

Sort of. What I'm really doing is adding the 5D4 to my kit and juggling the roles of the rest of my cameras. Last fall I put my second 7D on permanent loan to my daughter, which provided the excuse to add the 5D4. The 5D3 will serve as the second camera in my two-camera setup, replacing my remaining 7D, which will be the backup for my cameras and for my wife's 7D2. Now if Trump's trade war makes Japanese cameras prohibitively expensive, I at least have what I need for the foreseeable future.

Good planning. 🙂 At least the 7D went to a good home. It's great that your wife and daughter are into photography as well.

Have you read up much on the new 70-200 F/2.8 IS III USM? at $2099.00 now. 

"i recently got a Cannon Eos rebel t6 with EF-S 18-55m f/ 3.5-5.6 IS ll lense as well as EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lll lense."

The fact and truth is, quite a few people start with that exact kit.  And still more truth, it will do everything most people want.  The ones that want more are the ones that really start to get into the photography hobby or enthusiasts aspect.  It is a solid beginning.

On my recent photo shoot in New York, its been many years since I did one there, I was surprised about how many high end cameras people had. I even ran across a couple, obvious amateurs, with 1Dx Mk II's.  But by far and away Rebels rule the game.

EB

@khanh970 wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@khanh970 wrote:

Good planning. 🙂 At least the 7D went to a good home. It's great that your wife and daughter are into photography as well.

My wife may be better than I am. She even has a picture in this summer's Juried Exhibition at the Griffin Museum. In this geographical area, that's about as competitive as it gets.

Have you read up much on the new 70-200 F/2.8 IS III USM? at $2099.00 now. 

No, only what's been referred to here in the forum. I might be interested if I didn't already have the Mk II version, which is plenty good enough for my needs.

Bob

" I might be interested if I didn't already have the Mk II version...."

This is really no different than the 5D Mk III vs the 5D Mk IV.  If you already own the 3 is the 4 really a big update.  I doubt it but if you don't go for a Mk IV all the way.  Same thing applies to the version 2 and 3 of the world's greatest 70-200 zoom.  If you have 2 than 3 is probably not a real upgrade.  But if you don't............................ Smiley Very Happy

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements