cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation

wildwoodphoto
Enthusiast
Looking for a lens recommendation please. I need a zoom 16mm minimum to around 24 or 35mm to shoot interiors - specifically real estate.
7 REPLIES 7

wildwoodphoto
Enthusiast
Forgot to add that I’m using an EOS 5D Mk IV

Budget?

You can go to Canon's EF Lenses page, then set a filter for Lens by Usage to Architecture/Landscape.

There are several wide-angle zooms available at various price points.   To include a 17-40mm f/4 L at $800 and a 16-35 f/2.8 L III at $2,200.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks Ricky. I'm more concerned with which lens is right for the job than the budget. I've heard good things about the 16-35 f/4, but there is also as you say, the 16-35 f/2.8 L. Which one would you suggest is best for shooting real estate?

The 16-35 f/4 has an excellent reputation. The only "drawback" is that it is f/4. If you are shooting real estate you can most likely use a tripod and you would probably stop down anyway for better DOF. 

I have the f/4 and am totally satisfied with it. Buy with return privileges or perhaps rent and try it for yourself. 

You could also check an evaluation site like The-Digital-Picture dot com. The reporter provides the data that supports the conclusions. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The only lens made by Canon that has been a disappointment to me is the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8LII USM Lens.  It soured me so much that I never tried the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM Lens. I would really try one before I bought it though since I imagine you want it sharp clear out to the corners.  I had the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Lens and sold it to buy the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8LII USM Lens. I currently have and use the Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Lens and I am completely satisfied with it.

BTW, my Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Lens was a very good lens. The reason I decide to upgrade was I wanted all my Canon "standard" lenses to be f2.8. Otherwise I had no good reason to abandon the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Lens.

So. my advice remains "try before you buy".

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I buy mostly f2.8 and faster lens BUT several years ago I bought an EF 17-40 f4 and have been completely satisfied with it.  I had considered the 16-35 f2.8 to go with my 24-70 and 70-200 L series but have never felt the need to do so.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

My vote for a 5D4...

Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8LII  .  My experience with the vII has been good.

Go refurb.

$989 F4 vII

$1279 F2.8 vII (Best value) 

$1980 F2.8 vIII

You're spending a grand.  For $300 more you get f2.8.  Buying the vIII, then you might as well buy new

Or, throw caution to the wind and buy a Sigma 18~35 Art f1.8.  $599 refurb or $710 new.  Own a few of these too...  you won't regret either.  

If you are going to spend the money and invest in more EF glass, either go low so you can walk away from it, or plan on spending real $$$$ so you get something that you can use with a mirrorless body when it comes time to upgrade.  Limiting yourself to f4 on a EF lens with this focal length is not a wise investment if you plan to use it with a mirrorless body at some point.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements