cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation for next lens - Portraits and large group photography

footballmama
Contributor

I recently purchased the 18-135 lens which I love.

I am taking portraits of the team and also a few large group photos.

I have a 24 mm wide angle which is alright.

The things I am considering for the portrait is the 85mm and then for a wide-angle 10-18 or 10-22.

Things I read about the 'best' wide angle is the 85mm... so if that is the case to capture large groups, would I need the 10-18 or 10-22?

If the one that I already have, the 18-135 would do a wide angle, then is the 85 good for the portraits?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

85mm is a telephoto lens not a wide angle lens. 50mm on a crop sensor (Digital Rebel series) are better. Due to the image sensor's 1.6x crop factor. The lens would have an angle of view of 136mm when compared to full frame. This makes portraits difficult. This is why I'm recommending the 50mm. The 50mm provides an 80mm angle of view when compared to Full Frame. What is your budget for an ultra wide angle lens. The 10-22mm has a faster aperture and a Ring Type USM AF motor. The 10-18mm has a slower aperture and an STM AF motor

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

so would I just get the 50 mm for both protraits and the group shots? or the 50 mm and the 10-22

I have about a 400-500 budget.  

normadel
Authority
Authority

The 18-135 has 24mm, 50mm and 85mm in its zoom range. Why consider a prime lens of any of those focal lengths?

If you want wider, go for the 10-22 or 10-18. The 10-22 is the "better" of the two, but either one is a good lens. It depends on your budget.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I recently purchased the 18-135 lens which I love."

You have what you need as per your stated requirements. Except for something in the 10mm FL range you will only duplicate the FL you already have and will gain nothing. Unless you just like spending money on lenses and I understand that believe me. 😁 

If you want to see how an 85mm lens will work on your camera set the 18-135mm to 85mm and put a piece of tape on the zoom ring to hold it there and try it for a day. I suspect you will quickly find it limiting and an unfriendly FL to live with.

If you still have the new lens bug get the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I agree with Ernie that you have what you need for the tasks you have listed.

I have a few prime lenses that duplicate the focal length within some of my zoom lenses but I use them under demanding circumstances where their wider maximum aperture is also needed.  With fall HS football coming up, I will be making heavy use of my 400 f2.8 lens even though I also have Canon's 200-400 f4 with built in 1.4X extender.  The 200-400 f4 extender lens is extremely versatile and I use it frequently for late afternoon soccer where it can instantly turn into a 560mm f5.6 allowing pretty much full coverage of the pitch from wherever I am working.  But it isn't quite as  fast at grabbing focus as the 400 prime and it gives up 1 or 2 f stops depending upon how much of its versatility you are using.  And that is the case for owning primes, they provide performance that the more versatile zoom doesn't but you don't need that performance level for the photo tasks you listed.

One of my most loved, most hated, and least used lenses is Canon's marvelous EF 85 f1.2.  When the stars are in alignment, it produces incredible images but it is highly unforgiving when used to its potential so it requires thought and care in use.  Most of the time, I would use my 70-200 f2.8 to cover 85mm but there are times when only the prime will do because is a master of creating shallow depth of field and working in minimal light with its maximum f1.2 aperture.  A couple of weeks ago I used it and my 1DX III to shoot some infant photos for a friend and this lens allowed me to do nice indoor natural light work instead of exposing a newborn's eyes to artificial photo lighting.  But even with pretty careful setup and a subject that wasn't moving around a lot, I had a lower keeper rate from that little adventure than I have ever had at a sports event 🙂

Finally, carefully check reviews for any ultra-wide angle lens you are considering because many of them create enough distortion around the edges that even with a lot of work in post you will find yourself never framing the subject so that the entire wide angle capability is used.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I actually just rented the 10-22.

Coming in on Thursday so I will post the results!

Thank you everyone!

Announcements