cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T7 Additional Telephoto Lens

Hamop54
Contributor

I have the Rebel T7 with an 18-55 mm zoom lense. I want to add the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM @$234.99. It's not a $1200 lense but it seems like a match for the camera based on the retail price range.

Any thoughts on this?

I got the Rebel as a gift and have been enjoying ever since. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Dan:

The 55-250 lens that you mentioned in your response is the one I would recommend.  That should do the job very well and it is an economical solution that has good optics.  

I would not recommend an extension tube.  They are normally used for extreme closeup work, such as macro photography.  What is normally used to extend the focal length of a lens is an extender, but an extender will not work on either of the lenses I suggested and would be much more expensive in any case.  It's hard for me to assess how big the train will be in your image, but the magnification factor of the 55-250 is obviously going to be 5x over that of your 18-55, FWIW.   I would recommend just getting the 55-250 and see how that works for you.

Reviews from reliable and respected sources are valid, and I do offer only valid ones.  Ernie has a thing about anyone's opinion but his own and he is entitled to that.  I research carefully before purchasing gear and in 40 years it has worked for me - in the end we must each make our own decision.

Good luck with your grandkids.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

Hi Kevin:

I didn't see your answer in that context. 🙂  My point is that while something might be technically correct, it may not help the OP in resolving their issue as posted.  I have seen cases where the discussion becomes a technical conversation that can leave the OP and their request way behind.  For that reason, I limit my answers generally to what will serve the OP.  In this case, because they don't have the funds, or the camera to use such a lens, I left anything is not specifically helpful to them out of the conversation. 

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Hamop54 wrote:

I have the Rebel T7 with an 18-55 mm zoom lense. I want to add the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM @$234.99. It's not a $1200 lense but it seems like a match for the camera based on the retail price range.

Any thoughts on this?

I got the Rebel as a gift and have been enjoying ever since. 

The EF 75-300mm series of lenses are typically included with Rebel T5/6/7 camera kits.  They are best described as less than Canon’s best effort.  Look for a used lens.  Do not pay much more than about $100USD for one.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"(The saying about boats applies to teleconverters: The two happiest days in a photographers life are when he gets his teleconverter and the day he puts it in a drawer and stops using it.)"

Amen, brother!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have seen cases where the discussion becomes a technical conversation that can leave the OP and their request way behind.  For that reason, I limit my answers generally to what will serve the OP."

😄

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

As an addendum, the 50mm focal length is a difficult one to use. It usually seems just a bit to short or just a bit too long.

Personally, I generally tell folks unless you have a specific need for a 50mm prime, don't buy one. Especially if it is your only lens or perhaps just your second lens. One very good reason to buy one is, if you need a very fast lens. They come in fast apertures like f1.8, f1.4 and even f1.2.  If you ever find the need for a fast prime look at something in the  30mm-35mm FL. The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN Contemporary Lens is a fine example. A lens like the Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Lens would be a good choice, too. Again if ever a fast prime is in your sights.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The reviews are helpful in that I get some good info ..."

Maybe!  You can't trust reviews. Some are OK and even good. Some are not. The problem is learning which is which. Take them with a grain of salt or as some enjoyable time gulping entertainment but not so much as gospel. You get better info here.

EB
click here to view the gallery
Announcements