cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM camera compatibility

ILLUSTRATIVEMAN
Contributor

I just received my 200-800 lens and it doesn't fit my Canon EOS 7D Mark II.

Should it? If not, is there an adaptor available, or should I buy a new camera?

I'm a little bummed out, but I still have months until the Aloha Classic 

8 REPLIES 8

SamanthaW

Hi there!

Can you please confirm the full lens name including if it says EF/EF-S/EF-M/RF? This will help the Community determine if the lens is compatible with your camera! 

RF 200-800mm IS/USM.

I just found a compatibility list and it only lists full-frame Canon Cameras

@ILLUSTRATIVEMAN wrote:

RF 200-800mm IS/USM.

I just found a compatibility list and it only lists full-frame Canon Cameras

It only fits the R series mirrorless cameras (MILC), but it will fit the R series crop sensor APS-C cameras as well, not just FF MILC's. There is no adapter for DSLR's, FF or a cropper like the 7D marl II.

Newton

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

Sorry to hear this, but I'm afraid the news is bad.

An RF lens will only fit on RF cameras.  There is no adapter possible, since the lens needs to be 20mm from the sensor.  The front mounting flange on your camera is 44mm from the sensor, so that doesn't work, and there is no way to adapt it.

It will work on both full-frame and crop sensor cameras, as long as the lens mount is RF.  However, since it's a full-frame lens, it would be a little bit of a waste to use it on a crop sensor camera.  But on a camera with any other lens mount -- like the EF mount on your 7D -- it just can't work.

If you want to know more about lens compatibility, I wrote an article about it: https://moonblink.info/MudLake/gear/lenses

Yeah, I sort of realized that when I dug a little deeper. Sigh. 
well, having two camera bodies isn’t the worst thing in the world.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

It's not all bad news.  The RF 200-800 is an awesome lens.  To make the best of it, I recommend investing in an R-series body, specifically the EOS R6MkII - it is an absolutely first-class camera that will give you eye and face tracking, great 24MP full-frame sensor with superior dynamic range, stabilization that combines the lens' own stabilization with the camera's In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) to give you fantastic performance hand-held.
So, if you have some time before your big event, I suggest downloading the manual as a PDF and checking out the following video on its operation so you can get the most out of it if you decide to get one:

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Don't return that lens.  The average wait time for it is 4 to 7 months.  I suggest you buy a mirrorless body and start enjoying it.  You won't regret it 😊

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

Greetings ,

Don't return that lens.  The average wait time for it is 4 to 7 months.  I suggest you buy a mirrorless body and start enjoying it.  You won't regret it 😊

I agree with the opinions of my colleagues.  Now could be a good opportunity to upgrade you camera body.  There is an EF-RF mount adapter available from Canon, so any of your existing DSLR lenses will work with any R series body you might choose, if not better.

I still own a 7D Mark II.  It is an excellent wildlife camera body, with excellent AF.  With one exception, R100, the R series bodies use Dual Pixel AF II image sensors.  The prevailing opinion maintains that the R series bodies get better performance out of EF lenses than the Canon DSLRs ever could.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements