cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are all the RF 200-800 ?

RUPhotography
Apprentice

Canon RF 200-800. I ordered this lens 2 months ago for a once in a lifetime trip naively thinking that I would surely get it way before I leave. Seems like canon hasn't build one of these lens in over 4 months. Now, a few days away from my trip, I'm without a zoom lens. I'm thinking I will have to go with the RF 100-500L but it doesn't have the reach I was hoping and is more expensive. I'm regretting joining the canon ecosystem seeing that they often experience availability issues. Any chance my local store gets 3 lens by Thursday since I'm 3rd on the waiting list (My hopes a very small)? My local store has offered to rent out a lens for only half the price of a new one but it sucks to spend over a thousand dollars to rent a lens for 1 month. 

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Rent out the lens for half the price as new?  Thats a store you'll want to avoid at all costs. 

A lens like this typically rents for $100 per week.

I want one myself, but am afraid to order and not be here to receive it.  I have similar travel plans.  However, I would not have waited until 3 days before my trip to secure a lens.  I plan to order at the end of summer.  This way I'll be back and won't have to worry about losing my place or starting over.  I've been in the Canon ecosystem for a very long time. Purchasing gear wasn't like this before.  I had to wait about 6 or 7 weeks when I ordered my R5 C 2 years ago.  However, every lens I've wanted has been in my hands in about 2 days. 

Like others, I expected the RF 200-800 to be in stock and generally available by now.  I'm not going to speculate on the reason why it isn't.  People seem to be selling them on eBay for about $500-$700 above retail. I'm not recommending you do this, just pointing out it's availability.

Hope you can find one to rent at this late point.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I called around and the price to rent an RF 100-500 is 680$ for 1 month. Not exactly half the price of a new lens I do admit. It's still a 1/4 of the price of the lens. I get it that camera stores have to make money. I'm just a little disappointed that I ordered the RF100-500 end of March and come June they haven't received any and from what I read on the Internet, nobody has. The only people that got the lens are reviewers and influencers it seems. I need to go into that gig 🙂

March411
Rising Star

Many of us are in the same boat as you.

The challenge, Canon communication for this lens has been nonexistent! I purchased from B&H who has always been an excellent supplier and recently spoke to them regarding lead times. They conveyed that Canon has been silent and has made no commitments regarding delivery. 

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for post processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I'm sorry you are disappointed.  I can tell you that the RF 100-500 is a wonderful lens.  It's truly one of my favorites.  

If you are shooting FF with for example the R5, consider putting the camera into crop mode.  You'll still get 17MP images.  Not quite the reach, but pretty close.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

RUPhotography
Apprentice

Decided to get the Rf 100-500 and will hopefully have the reach I need in most cases. I always have the possibility of spending an extra 700$ and getting a 1.4x extender and getting almost 800 of reach for only 2000$ more. Well played Canon making me spend more money 😉

March411
Rising Star

Hey RUPhotography the 1.4X is only $500 on the Canon site, you can save $200.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for post processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/

ILLUSTRATIVEMAN
Contributor

It took six months to get mine, and I ordered it at the end of November last year(2023)

click here to view the gallery
Announcements