cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM Lens

jenben
Apprentice

Hi, I just bought this lens and when I carry the camera with lens attached, the inner barrel of the lens slips to full extension. Is this normal or should there be enough friction to hold the inner barrel in place? I would like to be able to move around with it over my shoulder and not have this happen--I'm sure it's not great for the lens and it's a little annoying. TIA. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Actually, the Rf 100-500 has a white knurled ring, jut behind the focusing ring.  It provides a variable friction effect to dampen or stop the lens from extending.  There is a lot of heavy glass in the front barrel of the lens, so it will want to drop if being carried.  The benefit of the ring, as opposed to a switch, is that one can vary the tension to give more or less friction, depending on what one wants if focusing and zooming.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The RF 100~500 does not have a lock switch to keep the lens barrel or objective from zooming when it's hanging.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Actually, the Rf 100-500 has a white knurled ring, jut behind the focusing ring.  It provides a variable friction effect to dampen or stop the lens from extending.  There is a lot of heavy glass in the front barrel of the lens, so it will want to drop if being carried.  The benefit of the ring, as opposed to a switch, is that one can vary the tension to give more or less friction, depending on what one wants if focusing and zooming.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you, Trevor. Super helpful and solved the problem!

Great you have a solution.  Perhaps you can mark my post as the resolution to your issue, so that others don't keep trying to solve it and anyone else with a similar issue can find the solution fast.

cheers, TREVOR

Aaron748
Apprentice

This lens is generally used for sports and wildlife photography. But as you can see, it does a great job for portraits as well. The level of background separation is unreal and the subject really pops in the images.  SurgeCardInfo Login

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thanks Trevor, I was not aware you could tighten it to a "locking" point.  I thought it only allowed you to adjust drag. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Rick!  🙂  I knew that the previous EF 100-400 lenses and 28-300 units that I have worked that way, and I have my own RF 100-500, so I had the benefit of first-hand experience. 

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements