cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 24-70mm MF issues

SatPhoto
Apprentice

I am having an issue where RF 24-70mm will not allow me to focus in manual mode on a R5. The AF focus system works just fine but when I switch to MF (on lens) it won't allow me to rack. Switch to another lens (100mm) and no problem with MF and AF focus racking. I don't think I've ever tried to rack manually with the 24-70mm so I don't know if this is a known issue with the lens or something with this particular lens. I would appreciate assistance in the matter.  

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Is it possible that the lens is “focus by wire”, which means the focus ring is not mechanically connected to the focusing elements?  If so, then the metering system must be active for the focus ring to work.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

amfoto1
Authority

Waddizzle may be right... You probably need to half press the shutter release or press and hold the AF On button to "power up" a focus-by-wire lens. Doing this will also activate the manual focus assist features of the camera. (I don't happen to have an R5, but this is the case with other c

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 
ameras and focus-by-wire lenses.)

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

I don't own this lens, but I have researched it. I've seen several reviews where it isn't totally in sync with Canons Full Time Manual focus on the R5. Anyway, here is a quote from the Digital Picture site on the RF 24-70mm L. Like you, I have no problem racking with the RF 100mm L macro, or the RF 100-500mm L on the R5 or R6.

"Like STM, Nano USM utilizes a focus-by-wire or electrical manual focus design (vs. a direct gear-driven system). The manual focus ring electronically controls the focus of the lens. FTM (Full Time Manual) focusing is supported in AF mode with the camera in One Shot Drive Mode, but the shutter release must be half-pressed for the focus ring to become active. Note that FTM does not work if electronic manual focusing after One Shot AF is disabled in the camera's menu. The lens' switch must be in the 'MF' position and the camera meter must be on/awake for conventional manual focusing to be available."

I've also read comments that the RF 24-70mm L will only give you "full" control of FTM on the R5 when you are using BBF, and this is supposedly by design. Go to 6:50ish of this video and see if it makes sense. BTW, this guy claims that FTM is NOT supported on the 24-70, so I'm confused and I guess Canon is the only source to trust on this... maybe 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsg4lA46asw

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
Announcements