cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 24-105 zoom squeaking

Kshea
Contributor

Over the past 2 weeks my RF 24-105 f4 L has begun making an audible squeak from about 50mm on to 105mm. It happens both zooming in and out (though louder when zooming out).

Has anyone else had this happen? I was just in Lebanon for 2 weeks and it’s pretty dusty there, so I’m assuming the dust is causing the squeak. 

My lens is out of warranty, and will likely need either repair or maintenance.  

Would appreciate any feedback from folks who’ve had this issue, and how they dealt with it. 

Thanks for your time. 

~K

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

You could try zooming all the way in (105mm) an wiping the protruding lens barrel with a slightly damp cloth, then zoom in and out a few times.

Tried this before and didn’t have any luck. The squeak sounds like it's coming from the middle of the barrel. 

Gets louder the slower you zoom. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try the damp cloth on the zoom ring, especially near the edges of the ring.

Just tried this, and still no luck. Also tried cleaning the zoom lock (as this seems like a spot dust might sneak in). 

This was a good idea (to clean around the ring) as I am noticing the sound more on the camera side of the zoom ring now as opposed to the lens side (hope this makes sense). 

Appreciate the suggestions. 

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

You could call 1-800-OK-CANON and talk to the tech people, but they will likely suggest you send it in for service.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Called this morning,and ended up sending it in to the Newport News location for repair. 

Will report back on my results. 

Good luck, I hope it doesn't cost too much!

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Was around $330 with Canon Gold. Lens no longer squeaking. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

That was a fast turnaround on the repair. Glad to hear that they took care of the squeak.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements