cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 16mm f/2,8 STM for Street photos?

mondalo2
Apprentice

I think about to get a lens dedicated for street photos by night and maybe for Astro photos. Since I don't want to spend to much money for this specific purpose, I want to ask if the RF 16mm f/2,8 STM is a good lens for the mentioned use case?

Or is there a better lens, which costs not more than 400€?

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What camera body are you using?  Recommendation may change depending.

I just returned from a multi week trip where I used my RF15-35 f2.8 and was very happy with the shots I got. (street and architecture).

For street and astro, I might choose a RF24 or RF35.  Both of these lenses are faster than the RF16 and would do really well for nighttime sky.  

If you plan to do more street photography stick with one of the longer focal lengths.  

Although the RF24 is little narrow for Astro, it's fast aperture Is helpful with stars at night.  

All of these lenses are within your price range, (except the RF24) but you can stretch your dollar if you shop in the Canon refurbished store. 

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/lenses/refurbished-lenses?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3bm3BhDJARIsAKnH...

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

I have seen a lot of nice astro photos with the RF 16mm F/2.8.  Actually I do a lot of shots of the Milky Way and Northern Lights.  Personally I do use better quality lenses (but they cost more), but the photos I've see with the RF 16mm give my more expensive lenses a run for the money.  If I was on a budget, I would get one for astro work.

For street photos, that's a wide open question depending on your style... and as Rick mentioned, depending on your camera body.  Any ASP-C camera will have a bit of a longer focal length vs. the same lens used on a full frame camera.

Personally, on a full frame camera I feel 16mm is too wide (for my style) unless by street shots you mean architecture.  If so, by all means the 16mm would be nice with either APS-C or Full Frame.  I tend to shoot street scenes that concentrate more on architectural detail, or people walking on the sidewalks, or mid city traffic.  For those, on a full frame, anywhere from 35mm to 50mm is nice.  My favorite is the RF 50mm F/1.8 simply because with a prime, it forces you to be more creative since you can't zoom in or out.  However, 50mm isn't the best for astro.  

Check the refurbs on Canon's web site.  Check your local camera store for nice used gear.  If you have a full frame body, I'm guessing you might be able to get both a 16mm and a 50mm together within your budget.  

I am not certain of the prices in your area, but looking at the Canon website, the cost of these two lenses new (total for both) is $450 in U.S. dollars... which converts to 402 euros.  That might be worth looking into.

Gary

Digital: Canon: R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax: Spotmatic, K1000, K2000, Miranda: DR, Zenit: 12XP, Kodak: Retina Automatic II, Duaflex III
Announcements