cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 100-500 won't retract below 300mm

Curler_Rich
Apprentice

When I last used my RF 100-500 telephoto lens, it would not retract below 300mm, only allowing me to shoot between 300 and 500.  Any idea what I need to do to correct this limitation?  Also, could this issue have arisen from the use of a 2x extender?

3 REPLIES 3

Peter
Authority
Authority

1000008381.jpg

 I don't own that lens, but this is what the manual says. Is it of any help?

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@Curler_Rich wrote:

Also, could this issue have arisen from the use of a 2x extender?

As Peter referenced, either extender (1.4X and 2X) will restrict focal length to 300-500mm. It's a shame, but a fact. It hasn't stopped me from occasionally using the 1.4X, but it takes some getting used too.

Newton

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

As my colleagues have advised, to reduce the FL below 300mm, you need to remove any teleconverters.  There is some sense to this as shooting with, say, a 1.4 teleconverter at anything below 300mm is far better served by using the lens on its own.  What it should allow is the lens to focus faster with the teleconverter when it is mounted and working with the extra focal length.
Removing any teleconverter should allow the lens to work through its full focal range again.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements