cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 100-500 Autofocus has stopped working

RSirett
Apprentice

Hello all, 

I need help troubleshooting. My RF100-500 suddenly stopped autofocusing on my R5, whether in one shot or servo.  I have removed battery, removed/reattached lens (the contacts seems clean). 

Any thoughts welcome!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Does manual focus override (MF after One Shot) work. This needs to be enabled in the camera first before you attempt it. The focus ring on the lens IS ELECTRONIC so the camera needs to be powered up for it to work. You'll need to half press the shutter button (or press and hold the back button focus button if setup). Then turn the focus ring and see if the AF Motor is working. This ONLY WORKS in One Shot AF. The electronic focus ring DOES NOT WORK in Servo AF. Manual Focus on Focus By Wire lenses require the AF Motor to move lens elements.

Make sure Option 2 is set. Or the lens' electronic focus ring WILL NOT WORK with the lens set to AF Mode.Make sure Option 2 is set. Or the lens' electronic focus ring WILL NOT WORK with the lens set to AF Mode.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please look at Menu > AF > Tab 4

Ensure Lens Drive When AF Impossible is Enabled

shadowsports_0-1688237941189.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Make sure the AF/MF switch on the lens is set to AF. This lens uses what is called "Focus By Wire" meaning the focus ring is electronically connected to the lens. Ie there is NO mechanical connection to the lens for manual focus to work. The camera must be powered up for manual focus to work.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Thanks very much for the reply. I neglected to say I have already checked that the switch on the lens is on AF as I have made that mistake before. 

Does manual focus override (MF after One Shot) work. This needs to be enabled in the camera first before you attempt it. The focus ring on the lens IS ELECTRONIC so the camera needs to be powered up for it to work. You'll need to half press the shutter button (or press and hold the back button focus button if setup). Then turn the focus ring and see if the AF Motor is working. This ONLY WORKS in One Shot AF. The electronic focus ring DOES NOT WORK in Servo AF. Manual Focus on Focus By Wire lenses require the AF Motor to move lens elements.

Make sure Option 2 is set. Or the lens' electronic focus ring WILL NOT WORK with the lens set to AF Mode.Make sure Option 2 is set. Or the lens' electronic focus ring WILL NOT WORK with the lens set to AF Mode.

-Demetrius

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please look at Menu > AF > Tab 4

Ensure Lens Drive When AF Impossible is Enabled

shadowsports_0-1688237941189.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Since there are two elements at work here:  the lens focusing system itself, and the power and control interfaces from the camera, is there another lens you can put on the R5 to confirm that a lens is getting the power it needs to focus?  Also, if you could find another body to put the 100-500 on and see if it works on that.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@RSirett wrote:

"I need help troubleshooting. My RF100-500 suddenly stopped autofocusing on my R5, whether in one shot or servo."  

Is it totally unresponsive when you half depress the shutter button (or whatever method you use to acquire focus), is it hunting, or does it just go out of focus and stay there?

Besides Rick's suggestion, have you also looked to see if the focus limiter on the lens is set for the proper distance. I use the limiter a lot on my lenses that have it and sometimes forget where it's set, then panic when the lens won't focus, LOL!

Newton

click here to view the gallery
Announcements