cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 & R6 combo with 35mm and 85mm lenses: Which goes on which?

bujaam
Apprentice

I photograph weddings mainly, primes only, and recently upgraded a 5D mark iv to an R5. I’m now dual wielding mirrorless cameras on a harness and wondered which lens should go on which body. I typically use a combo of 35mm and 85mm which seems to get me through 99% of the day.

Do I use my wider 35mm on the R5 since the more megapixels will allow me to crop in, or do I opt for the 85mm on the R5 since the portraits will likely look nicer coming from the slightly superior camera? The other lens will go on my trusty R6.

Any thoughts would be great!

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

I'd put the 85 on the R6 and the 35 on the R5.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:
I would agree with Rick.   A 35mm lens has a wider field of view and will pull in details from a much wider range of objects unless you get really, really close, which really is 85mm territory.  The larger capacity 45MP sensor on the R5 will give you the capacity to catch that detail.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Trevor,

My thinking exactly.  🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements