cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on film cameras

Harrywhittle
Apprentice
Hi canon community, I'm very new to cameras and photography in general and was looking into getting a canon film camera but I was wandering if I will be able to use modern lenses (specifically a 12mm/10mm fisheye) have there been any significant thread changes or will it be a problem that it's meant to be used with a dslr? Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

As long as you get a film camera with an EOS mount for EF lenses, (not an FD) you should be fine. Note that EF-S and EF-M lenses will NOT fit you your camera, but the prime fisheyes are EF.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

As long as you get a film camera with an EOS mount for EF lenses, (not an FD) you should be fine. Note that EF-S and EF-M lenses will NOT fit you your camera, but the prime fisheyes are EF.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Harrywhittle wrote:
Hi canon community, I'm very new to cameras and photography in general and was looking into getting a canon film camera but I was wandering if I will be able to use modern lenses (specifically a 12mm/10mm fisheye) have there been any significant thread changes or will it be a problem that it's meant to be used with a dslr? Thanks in advance.

DSLR cameras do not use threaded mounts, which means their lenses do not use them, either.  There are a handful of adapters on the market that allow for the use of older, threaded lenses on modern cameras.  But, not so many that allow modern lenses to be used on older threaded mount, camera bodies.

The Canon EOS mount is a bayonnet mount that uses several electronic "fingers" to create an electronic communication circuit between the camera and lens.  This electronic communication is what allows for digital electronic control of the lens' focus and aperture.  This communication is at the core of the ability of today's DSLR's to automatically focus and track subjects..

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Harrywhittle
Apprentice
Thank you very much!
Announcements