cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with 400mm L 5.6 clarity

pahranagatman
Contributor

On image tests my 400mm L 5.6 is performing significantly less sharp than my new 100-400mm lense. The only think I can think of that would have damaged the 400 was condensaton in the body from temperature changes. Shots are all tribod and cable triggered. No filters on either lens. This is of course cropped way in. Any ideas? The 400 is about 9 months old. Can it be cleaned internally?

400L.jpg100-400L.jpg

7D, EFS 18-55 IS, 400mm L 5.6f, 100-400mm L
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The top photo looks OOF so if it is there is no way to tell if the lens is "sharp" or not. Maybe you were too close?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

amfoto1
Authority

It is possible the lens' focus is out of calibration. Focus mechanisms can wear with use or just get out of adjustment with a bump or even be mis-adjusted from new. This can be adjusted and corrected, worn or faulty parts can be replaced if needed.

IMO it's unlikely that the lens needs cleaning inside. Usually stuff inside a lens - even a lot - doesn't effect focus and sharpness very much... It causes flare, veiling, loss of contrast and reduced color saturation.  If images showed uneven sharpness, that might indicate a decentered lens element or group, another problem that often can be corrected. But just judging from your sample images, there don't appear to be problems of those types. I doubt you'll find anything of significance, but you can inspect the inside of a lens with a flashlight. Just don't panic if you see some specks of dust here and there. Those are common and not a problem unless there's a lot... a whole lot!

You probably should just send the lens in and have it checked and calibrated.  

However, there are other things you can look for first, to rule out as possibilites...

1. As already suggested, that lens' closest focusing distance is about 3.5 meters (11.5 feet). If closer than that, you won't be able to focus So, yes, be sure you simply aren't trying to focus too close.  (Notes: For comparison, your 100-400mm's closest focusing distance is 1.8 meters/5.9 feet. Also, adding a macro extension tube will allow the lens to focus closer).

2. Do you have a filter on the lens? If so, try without it. Quality filters can be helpful in some situations, but cheaper ones can make a mess of images and some lenses simply don't work well with the filters (actually your 100-400mm is one that is pretty widely known to not work well with filters... even good ones).

3. You mention using a tripod and remote release, and those are good for tests like these. Are you also locking up the mirror? At certain longer shutter speeds (usually between roughly 1/30 and 1 second) mirror slap can sometimes cause enough vibration to give some camera shake blur in images. The 100-400's Image Stabilization should be able to correct for that. But the 400/5.6L doesn't have IS, so would be more prone to show any vibration effects. When using really long telephotos without IS, at times I've put a beanbag on top of the camera and lens to help prevent vibrations, too.

You didn't mention what camera you are using, but an APS-C 1.6X crop model is more susceptible to camera shake, than a full frame model would be. On the other hand, the larger mirrors in full frame models are more likely to give mirror slap effects (all have some dampening, I'm sure.... but it likely varies with different models) .  

Also, Canon has published a white paper about the 18MP APS-C cameras being particularly susceptible to any form of vibration... They recommend using slightly higher shutter speeds to offset this, especially with the crop cameras with very dense sensors.

4.  Hopefully you are using One Shot focus for those test shots. Be sure to restrict to only the center AF point. And  If your camera has it, try using Live View. That employs a completely different method of focusing and is a good way to test the camera and lens.

5. Use a clean rag lightly dampened with a few drops of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol to clean the electronic contacts on the back of the lens. Perhaps some oils or dirt on the contacts are interrupting communication between the camera and lens, effecting focus.

Those are things you can try yourself at no cost. Since the lens is less than a year old, it should still be under warranty, so I wouldn't hesitate to send it in to Canon for calibration, if none of the above helps.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

View solution in original post

69 REPLIES 69

nerys
Contributor
Ebiggs. I was specifically asked for that info which is the only reason i supplied it. No offense was intended.

" No offense was intended."

Oh, none assumed.  It just hasn't got a thing to do with your problem here.

EB

nerys
Contributor
Hmmm maybe this is down to my equipment. Ai servo simply does or should i say "has" not worked for me unless there is a clear dof difference and the subject is high contrast and large.

That is on my xti's so maybe the ai system in the 5d mark ii is superior? I will have to play with it.

I never get out of focus shots with the xti in single shot except when shooting rockets (for obvious reasons ie small target and bad contrast.

Then again my targets are also not really moving much (ground targets)

I have never shot sports before. I dont consider the b29 to "be moving" in the context of af to shot time scales. At throttles to the firewall it simply can not move very quickly. Ie its an easy target.

I might have to hit up some local sports games to play with ai modes now that i have a better camera.

The lens is under warranty still so i am going to send it to canon. If time allows i still plan to set up a tripod test shot for focus but i only have one day off each week (tuesday) and i need this lens back before july.

Guys none of this is of any importance to the issue here?  The photos shown, here to us, have the problems.  The OP claims one lens does fine and the other does not.  The OP claims the same technique for both.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Guys none of this is of any importance to the issue here?  The photos shown, here to us, have the problems.  The OP claims one lens does fine and the other does not.  The OP claims the same technique for both.

And that doesn't suggest to you that one of the lenses may need AFMA? If it doesn't, what would?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston.

"And that doesn't suggest to you that one of the lenses may need AFMA?"

Ah, no it doesn't.  They look like camera shake to me as nothing is in focus.  If it were close enough for MFA to help, something would be.

This looks like MFA is going to fix it?

original.jpg

By all means give it a go and let's see.

Why he can shoot one lens and not the other is puzzling but its not because of OOF.  At least I guess it isn't?  Which is what all this actually is.

EB

Ok. got the lens back from canon. they said they had to adjust or calibrate some circuitry or something.

WORLDS improvement. the pictures it captures are absolutely fantastic. very pleased.

the same sign and a passing car like before (note the idiot in the car)

http://i.imgur.com/nByUpJi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oCW4MRe.jpg

such a big improvement. absolutely far superior to my old lenses. no doubt. even expanding on my 4k panel to 200 and 300% the images are stunning. Very pleased. I can't wait to shoot some rockets with this!

Fantastic! Smiley Very Happy

EB

kg
Apprentice

I am having same problem and lens was less than a year old. Have sent it back to canon 2 times already. Shot a few photos the other day and it appears the focus is still soft. Will not be able to shot for a few more weeks, but when I do I will look at the photos and if not sharp I will send it back again. I  have three canon cameras and probably 6 to 8 lens. All other lens are sharp on all three camers. but the 400 is not sharp on any of the 3 camerasI think it is a lemon. I do not understand as big as a company as canon is why they want send me a new replacement lens.

"... why they want send me a new replacement lens."

Whoa, there cowboy. Pull back on the reigns a bit.  We first need to decide if it is the lens or the camera or you.  If it is not the lens, a new one isn't going to help is it?

First off a sample of what you speak will be helpful.  What camera and what conditions?  What are the settings?  Also if all is as you said, you need to send the camera and lens back together.

Have you tried this lens on other camers?

EB
Announcements