cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portrait photography lens recommendations for EOS Rebel T4i

riahroo2
Apprentice

I have a Canon Rebel T4I and a 75-300mm Canon Zoom Lens EF. I am just starting out on my photography journey, but I really like taking portraits and less zoomed in photos. What would be a good lens and how would I make sure it fits my camera? 

8 REPLIES 8

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi Ria and welcome to the forum:

The EF 75-300 is not a great optic, but leaving that aside, I assume you will also have the standard kit lens that is supplied: the EF-S 18-55 IS USM lens.  For portraits, that lens would be a starting point, but if you want to have better results in terms of isolating your subjects, then that requires some investment.

There are a couple of questions you need to consider and preferably share with us:
1. What is your budget in $terms - we can happily suggest solutions that are beyond your means, so this will give us some guidance.
2. What will you produce?  The demands for large, detailed prints are very different compared to those for social media, digital display or small-moderate prints.
3.  Do you have a preference between fixed focal length (prime) lenses or zoom lenses?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I actually got this camera from somebody as a gift, and they bought it used from somebody. So I only have the lens I mentioned. I do not have the original lens it came with. 

1. As of right now, I only have $100-$200ish to spend on a new lens. 
2. I will most likely be printing out 4x6 photos and smaller pictures or social media photos. If I do anything bigger, it would be a slightly bigger photo for to hang on a wall.       
3. I do not have a preference right now. Hopefully I will build one as I continue to learn and experience different types. 

Is the T4I an okay camera to start with? 

nahroo2,

With that kind of budget, I think I would suggest a 50mm f/1.8 STM prime lens

They run about $125 now and are an excellent lens.

Keep the aperture at f/2.8 and you can't go wrong. (In my opinion anyway).

Steve Thomas

Thank you very much for your fast response.
Given what you have said, I would suggest the following:
1.  The T4i is a good starting point to explore photography, especially given it is a gift, which is very generous.
2.  Given your intentions and budget, I would actually suggest getting a kit lens that is available for this.  At the longer focal length range of this lens you can get some good shots.
So, I have a couple of suggestions for you, assuming that you are in the USA:
Go to KEH.COM, which offers second-hand or refurbished lenses that come with a rating, and a warranty.
Here is a link to each of the suggestions: I would suggest purchasing the best of the lists you can afford.

This first one will give you the most flexible solution and is an excellent lens optically.  It will cover your needs to explore everything from landscapes to portraits - you are in learning mode right now and usually that means trying different photography scenarios.  I have had several of these and they are good lenses.
EF-S 18-135 IS STM: 
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black {67} at KEH Camera : 
This would be my first recommendation, and here are some examples.
A good test of a lens is the ability to crop the image and keep it clean and sharp, as per the first two images.
EOS 80D, EF-S 18-135@135mm, f/5.6, 1/200sec, ISO-2000EOS 80D, EF-S 18-135@135mm, f/5.6, 1/200sec, ISO-2000  EOS 80D, EF-S 18-135USM@135mm, f/5.6, 1/200sec, ISO-2000EOS 80D, EF-S 18-135USM@135mm, f/5.6, 1/200sec, ISO-2000EOS 80D, EF-S 18-135USM@135mm, f/7.1, 1/320sec, ISO-100EOS 80D, EF-S 18-135USM@135mm, f/7.1, 1/320sec, ISO-100  EOS 80D, 135mm, f/5.6, 1/250sec, ISO-125EOS 80D, 135mm, f/5.6, 1/250sec, ISO-125 
80D, EF18-135 IS USM@135mm, f/9, 1/200sec, ISO-16080D, EF18-135 IS USM@135mm, f/9, 1/200sec, ISO-160  80D, EF18-135 IS USM@135mm, f/9, 1/250sec, ISO-10080D, EF18-135 IS USM@135mm, f/9, 1/250sec, ISO-100 

EF-S 18-55 IS STM:   Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black {58} at KEH Camera
If you got this lens you could also get, within budget the lens my colleague Steve suggests, although I personally favour the flexibility of focal length of the 18-135 as a learning tool.

I am going to assume that you have not got a copy of the manual for this, and that is an important document to look up critical features and functions, here is a link to a PDF version:
eosrt4i-eos650d-im-c-en.pdf (c-wss.com)
Also, to help you get started here are some on-line You Tube tutorials on the principles of photography:
Learn Photography - Simple, Practical - Free Photography Course 1/10 (youtube.com)
Canon EOS 101: Photo and Videography Basics | Canon U.S.A., Inc. 
An overview of a similar camera's controls: Canon Rebel T6i & 750D Overview Training Tutorial (youtube.com)

Finally, some basic tips:
How to correctly hold a camera:
Holding a Camera.png
General tips and tricks:
*  Do not turn off the camera while the red light on the lower right of the back is lit - it is still saving to the card.
*  Use only Full-size SD cards, (not the micro-SD with adapters, they are not reliable). 
*  To download photos to a computer, the most reliable method is to turn off the camera, remove the card, insert it into a SD card reader (built-in or USB) and copy the files from there.  When done  with the copy, remove the card, return it back to the camera and format the card clean, ready for the next shoot.
*  If changing lenses, turn the camera off first, and point the body face to the ground to avoid dirt getting on the camera sensor (it leaves marks on your images). Turn the camera back on again only when the new lens is installed.

I hope this is helpful for you.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

riahroo2
Apprentice

Thank you both so much for your responses! I’m very excited to continue learning and growing as a photographer. Have a wonderful night! 

normadel
Authority
Authority

To answer your last, fundamental question.....Your rebel T4i can take ANY AND EVERY EF and EF-S mount lens ever made.

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

As to this part:

... and how would I make sure it fits my camera? 

The answer is pretty simple: know your lens mount.  Your camera has an EF-S lens mount, which means it will take pretty much any EF or EF-S lenses.  Adapting any other lens to your camera will be difficult or impossible.

If you want to know more about lens compatibility, I wrote a guide to that:

https://moonblink.info/MudLake/gear/lenses

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

To answer your question without all the clouds, the best and really only choice for a Rebel as a GP (general purpose)  lens is the standard kit lens that comes with every Rebel made. I think the current model is the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II. There is a reason that Canon decided to include this little zoom with all its Rebel models.

" I would suggest a 50mm f/1.8 STM prime lens"

Absolutely no! The 50mil is not a friendly lens for GP photos. It is also not a good ideal to get a prime as you only GP lens. OK to add later on down the road after you get some ground under your feet but not now or first.

There are thousands upon thousands of EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lenses out there some can be had really for cheap on the used market but even a brand new one should not be more than $200 bucks. If you go used make sure you check it out thoroughly before you lay your money down. It's an easy lens to abuse and often is.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements