cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos Completely Out of Focus

arceneaux811
Contributor

I have a 7D Mark ii mounted with a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC DI USD (That I just purchased). I took about 50-75 test shots yesterday and EVERY shot (except the one I manual focused on) were out of focus! I was shooting out doors so my ISO was at 100 Shutter speeds varied between 625+ and aperture was wide open at f2.8 (although I did shoot some at f4 and same result). The camera and lens seem to autofocusing fine however when I zoom at 100% after I take the photo, the whole shot is out of focus. I mounted my Canon 24-105 f4L to the 7D Mark ii and tested it and the shots were tack sharp. I then set my Tamron 70-200 f2.8 to the exact same settings and shot the same subject and the entire photo was out of focus...Not sure whats going on but ANY HELP WOULD BE HUGE!!!!! Thanks in Advance

21 REPLIES 21

ScottyP
Authority

Sample shots? 

How oof are we talking; way out like the AF wasn't even active or slightly off like you need to do AFMA?

Also is that lens the brand new Tammy model or an older version?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Its the Tamron VC 2.8 A009 model. 

First see if there is a firmware update for the Tamron. You may have to send it back to them.

Or just send the lens back, though there is no guarantee the next one won't do the same thing.

@kvbarkley wrote:

First see if there is a firmware update for the Tamron. You may have to send it back to them.

Or just send the lens back, though there is no guarantee the next one won't do the same thing.

We've all gotten spoiled by Canon's implementations of the 70-200 zoom, especially the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II. There's a reason why that lens costs as much as it does.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Like Scotty asked, a sample would be nice.

I have the Tamron and can confirm it is a very sharp lens.  If I couldn't have the fantastic Canon 70-200mm f2.8L, it would be the Tamron.

There are a few considerations you need to observe.  You know the reciprocal of the focal length is a good starting point for sharp photos with a tele? Example if you are at 200mm you should be shooting with a SS of 1/320 or more likely 1/500 on your camera.  You need to add the crop factor to the focal length for the SS.  Second with am extremely high mega pixel density camera like the 7D Mk II, the standard rule of thumb may not be fast enough. Two things come into play here, too.  The very high IQ of the Tamron lens and the high resolving power of the sensor.  Minor imperfections will show more readily.

"I mounted my Canon 24-105 f4L...", not a good comparison.  The Tamron is a much better lens meaning it requires more attention.

"...when I zoom at 100% after I take the photo, the whole shot is out of focus."  You are at pixel level so this will show all the mishaps.  But the fact you say nothing is in perfect focus concerns me.  This could be caused by several things.  One is too slow of SS used.  The reason for my explanation above.

A sample would be nice.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Can you focus OK in live view?

You might need to do an auto focus micro adjustment. Google "dot tune method"

Not likely if "the whole shot is out of focus."  A lens needing focus adjustment there is usually something in the photo in focus.

EB

We don't know what was in "the whole shot", it could be a flat brick wall - which is pretty much the only kind of shot where I would expect everything to *be* in focus.

Perhaps.  A sample would be nice to see.

EB
Announcements