cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy IS in L series 24-105. Normal?

San2C
Contributor

I noticed recently really loud IS in my 24-105, loud enough in fact to be picked up by the on-camera microphone I used. 

Is this normal, or should I seek out repair? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Yes, it is normal. The EF 24-105 is known for its noisy IS which is easily picked up in videos using a built-in microphone.

Here is a video showing how noisy it is:   Canon 5d MKII Video Image Stabilization IS Lens Test with 24-105

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Since I can't hear the noise, who can say?  If you think it is out of the ordinary you better have it looked at. You'll always worry if you don't.  Otherwise forget it and just use it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Yes, it is normal. The EF 24-105 is known for its noisy IS which is easily picked up in videos using a built-in microphone.

Here is a video showing how noisy it is:   Canon 5d MKII Video Image Stabilization IS Lens Test with 24-105

Mike Sowsun

OK, thanks for confirming this.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@San2C wrote:

I noticed recently really loud IS in my 24-105, loud enough in fact to be picked up by the on-camera microphone I used. 

Is this normal, or should I seek out repair? 

It is probably normal.  The lens is not very good for video because of the noises it makes.  If you are on a tripod, then you can turn off the IS completely.  That sill leaves the noise from the actual AF motors, and the even noisier aperture.

The simple cure is to use an external  microphone that is far enough from the lens to not pick up any of its’ noises.  Even a directional microphone mounted on the hot shoe should be sufficient to minimize the noise.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements