cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 3rd party RF Lenses...

greeneyes_516
Apprentice

This is a Deal Breaker for me. I am still using DSLR and it will still be a little while before I get a mirrorless camera because of budget. This news is going to make me look into getting Nikon or Sony, if when I go to a mirrorless camera, if I can't get 3rd party RF lenses for Canon. Since the beginning, I have been using Canon. From my first 35mm Film camera, then stepped up to DSLR with the Canon Rebel XTI. Few years later got the Canon 60D and then got the Canon 80D. When I got the 80D, I started to try to get better lenses. So I do have the Canon 24-70 L and got the Tamron 70-210 F4, I also have 2 Sigma lenses. I am on a limited budget. I finally stepped up to Full Frame with the Canon 6D Mark II. I will say that I am happy with all the photos that I have been able to get with my cameras over the years, but I am not a Fan Boy. For a matter of fact, I have recommended a friend to get a Nikon camera, because of what they were wanting to use it for and to stay with in their budget. I have used friends Nikon cameras in the past and was totally happy with those cameras. When people ask for a recommendation on a camera, I just tell them to stay with a Major brand so they have options in the future for expanding their equipment. In the future I will get a mirrorless camera and to start off with, I was going adapt my current lens to the Camera. But will be wanting to get mirrorless lenses when money allows. There is no way I can afford to get any L series Canon RF lenses, so this will be a deal breaker for me. This will make me sell off my Canon equipment, and go with Nikon or Sony, depending on which one has the options that I want at my price. A sad day for Canon.

90 REPLIES 90

Always look a the top of the post, for example, this one (and the others too) say: "In response to"  right under the person posting - just like yours did to me, and I'm doing to you: thus, I know who's posting to whom.  If one posts that is not so labelled, but is also a response, I try to say something like "In response to" or put in the quote from the person I am responding to.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks Trevor, for guiding me on who replies. On my screen it sometimes shows the posts out of order. Than how commenters responded.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT, 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Things were arguably easier under the old system.  Then, if you replied to a post, the posts were in strict chronological order, and one has the option of including the full message text you are responding to.  The new system can be very confusing!!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

When did this change. I started using the Canon forums in June of this year. My first and only post was "AF Assist Beam from Speedlites on the EOS RP". Canon couldn't give me a direct answer on this in the forums or on the phone. The IR AF Assist Beam from speedlites doesn't work any mirrorless camera.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT, 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

The site changed well before that ... perhaps at the start of the year, or even a bit earlier?

cheers, TREVOR

My "Where is my Image Gallery" Post was just after the change, so December 2021:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Discussion/I-give-up-where-is-my-image-gallery/td-p/35704...

Thank you, sir!  I must admit I prefer some of features of the old system e.g., ability to add the original text in a reply.

Still, there are features in the newer interface I like too - we live in an imperfect world. {:-)  

cheers, TREVOR

Are you just taking JPEGs?  Because the quality difference between the R5 and an Apple 14 Pro Max is dramatically better on the R5.  If you just want to do quick snapshots, a phone can do better.  But if you're developing the photos, there's no comparison.  What you get out of a smartphone pic is the best that the smartphone will ever do.  As you probably know, when you take a photo, the camera (whether it's a phone or a DSLR or mirrorless) takes in raw information.  That raw information can be exported to a computer to be processed by you.  On a phone, the software will process the image for you.  For common situations, you may love the way the smartphone software processes the image.  

The software in a camera like the Canon R5 or a Sony or a Nikon or whatever will not do much processing to any image.  It's up to you to do the processing.  It doesn't take long to develop images these days with the amazing software out there like Lightroom (and Lightroom has grown exponentially in the past year; it's truly amazing now), Topaz Labs Denoise AI, Gigapixel AI, etc.  Even Luminar is okay (I would rate them amazing if the software was faster).

As for lenses, I have a few old lenses including my 85 mm 1.4 and they perform even better on the R5 (and my RP and my R) than they did on my 6D2 or my 5D4.  Take the RP for example.  It's supposed to be a mirrorless 6D2 with supposedly the same sensor.  But the exact same lens on both cameras will have much sharper images on the RP even though all noise processing and sharpening were turned off on both cameras.

Rokinon and Samyang are the same company.  If you can't find the Samyang model, maybe you can get the Rokinon.

I agree that Canon should allow 3rd party lenses fully.  But I bet they will.  If you go by past Canon history and past Sony history, they usually open up the system a few years after.  But in the meantime, it's not like EF glass became garbage.  In fact, they're still used for Red cameras and millions of Canon cameras out there.

I think you may have miss read one of my previous comments in which I referred to some of my clients using phones.  I shoot primarily RAW stills and video and I have both RF and EF glass.

In regards to lenses, your old lenses don't perform any better than before, It's your new camera body (R5) with updated technology and sensor thats performing better than your previous bodies.  The RF lenses are much sharper than EF lenses and superior in every way, even new third-party lenses by Sigma and Tamron that can be used on other systems are sharper than EF glass.  I don't think EF glass is garbage, they're good for lower megapixel cameras like the R6 and cameras typically used for video with good low light abilities like the ones found in the cine line. In fact, any RED or Canon camera that uses native EF mount is outdated and discontinued so I don't see a good reason for investing in new EF glass.  EF glass is only good for those that are already heavily invested in that mount or if you're buying used.   Based on Canon's history we can speculate they will support third party eventually but we truly don't know because Canon refuses to talk about it.  My work is in both photography and videography as a DP in various projects I constantly get asked about gear and I just can't recommend any new comer to Canon.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

As noted above, you can always use EF glass on RF bodies.  I suspect Canon wants to fill out its own lineup of RF lenses before they license third party manufacturers to produce RF mount lenses.

You have to take everything Tony Northrup says with a grain of salt.  He sometimes likes to produce content that is mostly click bait, and filled with straw man arguments and false conclusions.

If you wish to change to a new lens system, then I suggest that you look before you leap.  Canon has consistently produced some of the best camera bodies.  Look before you leap.  

Sony MILC bodies seem to have a reputation for collecting dust on the image sensor, requiring constant cleaning.  You do not even need to remove or change lenses for the sensor to get dirty.

Nikon has had AF issues with their MILC bodies.  Nikon AF tracking has been a major weak spot..  The only camera body that comes close to getting it right is the flagship Z9, which is still lagging behind Sony and Canon.

Canon has the best lens lineup, IMHO.  Look before you leap.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements