cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 3rd party RF Lenses...

greeneyes_516
Apprentice

This is a Deal Breaker for me. I am still using DSLR and it will still be a little while before I get a mirrorless camera because of budget. This news is going to make me look into getting Nikon or Sony, if when I go to a mirrorless camera, if I can't get 3rd party RF lenses for Canon. Since the beginning, I have been using Canon. From my first 35mm Film camera, then stepped up to DSLR with the Canon Rebel XTI. Few years later got the Canon 60D and then got the Canon 80D. When I got the 80D, I started to try to get better lenses. So I do have the Canon 24-70 L and got the Tamron 70-210 F4, I also have 2 Sigma lenses. I am on a limited budget. I finally stepped up to Full Frame with the Canon 6D Mark II. I will say that I am happy with all the photos that I have been able to get with my cameras over the years, but I am not a Fan Boy. For a matter of fact, I have recommended a friend to get a Nikon camera, because of what they were wanting to use it for and to stay with in their budget. I have used friends Nikon cameras in the past and was totally happy with those cameras. When people ask for a recommendation on a camera, I just tell them to stay with a Major brand so they have options in the future for expanding their equipment. In the future I will get a mirrorless camera and to start off with, I was going adapt my current lens to the Camera. But will be wanting to get mirrorless lenses when money allows. There is no way I can afford to get any L series Canon RF lenses, so this will be a deal breaker for me. This will make me sell off my Canon equipment, and go with Nikon or Sony, depending on which one has the options that I want at my price. A sad day for Canon.

90 REPLIES 90

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Look here is the point. Who buys a camera just so they can use off brand lenses and/or gear. In my life long photography experience I never thought I am going to buy a Canon Rebel camera so I can use a Tokina lens on it. 

I did enter my "hobby" years, retirement years, where I bought many upon many lenses for my own satisfaction and curiosity. Probably around a hundred or so maybe more. I have lost count by now!  How many made it into my bag? Currently three, yes, only three. What are they you might ask just out of curiosity the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens, Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sports Lens and the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens. The reason for the mentioned first two is, Canon doesn't make either of those lenses. The reason for the last, 35mm, is because it is the sharpest lens on the planet. All the rest have been sold on for one reason or another. So an off brand lens option whether it happens or not is a lousy reason for choosing a camera body, IMHO

Withe the advent of the R series and RF lens line up Canon has seen the missed opportunities and has filled the gap that was present in the EF lens line up. Even though, I suggest you take Trevor's advice and go Sony if that floats your boat and get on with it instead of bashing Canon for what may or may never become reality. I also agree with one of the other of my compatriots, it is only a matter of time before we see Sigma and Tamron making high quality RF lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements