cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 3rd party RF Lenses...

greeneyes_516
Apprentice

This is a Deal Breaker for me. I am still using DSLR and it will still be a little while before I get a mirrorless camera because of budget. This news is going to make me look into getting Nikon or Sony, if when I go to a mirrorless camera, if I can't get 3rd party RF lenses for Canon. Since the beginning, I have been using Canon. From my first 35mm Film camera, then stepped up to DSLR with the Canon Rebel XTI. Few years later got the Canon 60D and then got the Canon 80D. When I got the 80D, I started to try to get better lenses. So I do have the Canon 24-70 L and got the Tamron 70-210 F4, I also have 2 Sigma lenses. I am on a limited budget. I finally stepped up to Full Frame with the Canon 6D Mark II. I will say that I am happy with all the photos that I have been able to get with my cameras over the years, but I am not a Fan Boy. For a matter of fact, I have recommended a friend to get a Nikon camera, because of what they were wanting to use it for and to stay with in their budget. I have used friends Nikon cameras in the past and was totally happy with those cameras. When people ask for a recommendation on a camera, I just tell them to stay with a Major brand so they have options in the future for expanding their equipment. In the future I will get a mirrorless camera and to start off with, I was going adapt my current lens to the Camera. But will be wanting to get mirrorless lenses when money allows. There is no way I can afford to get any L series Canon RF lenses, so this will be a deal breaker for me. This will make me sell off my Canon equipment, and go with Nikon or Sony, depending on which one has the options that I want at my price. A sad day for Canon.

90 REPLIES 90

Yep, I feel the same, except where Sigma make a lens that Canon does not - like the 150-600c and 60-600s.  I do the same for my Nikon gear, but I must admit I went to the Tamron 18-300 for my Fuji gear because, again, it was not a lens made by Fuji, was relatively cheap and has excellent performance.

I added a link to a video in my last post.  I am really impressed by Sigma and its CEO

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Sometimes you have to go 3rd party if the native manufacturer doesn't have that focal length. But there's always a risk with future compatibility though.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT, 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Well that's a risk I am happy to take.  Really, it's horses for courses: we get the gear to give the results we want.  As I said, I still have legacy camera bodies that will still use all the lenses I have and, so far, they have all worked with my latest R-series bodies without any issue.  It would be denying some really good alternative gear to worry about risk to the point we never use it.  Lens makers, like anyone else, are market driven and this whole issue has blown up because the word has spread that consumers may not get the product they want.  I have a lot of confidence in Sigma and Tamron - they have been around for many decades.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

I bought my 5D Mark IV a few months before the release of the R5 and R6. The EOS-R series mirrorless line was out of my price range when it came to adapters and lenses. But I have tested the R, RP, R5 and R6. I'm waiting to test R3, R7 and R10 also the new EL-1 speedlite. I wonder if Canon will stop 3rd party hot shoe accessories with the new digital hot shoe on the R3, R7 and R10. 

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

-Demetrius
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM

That's back in speculation territory and outside my horizon!

cheers, TREVOR

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

I know you mentioned that you own an R series body which one do you own. I would've gotten the R5 but the price is out of my range so was the R6. Canon was running a discount on the 5D Mark IV when I bought it.

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

I have one r5 and two R6 bodies, all with battery grips

cheers, TREVOR

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

How's the battery life. I was not impressed with the R and RP's battery life. Even with 4 LPE6N batteries. My 5D Mark IV came with the LPE6NH battery. I guess Canon discontinued the LPE6N batteries. Due to the availability and compatibility of the LPE6NH battery. 

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

The battery life is not brilliant.  My biggest beef is that the batteries degrade very quickly.  After only a few recharges, they are down to only two recharge performance bars.  I tried some 3rd party ones at abut 15th the price and they are doing fine so far.

cheers, TREVOR

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

I haven't had that happen with my LPE6NH batteries yet. Most of the time I can get away with 1 battery sometimes 2. But I'm still using a DSLR camera not mirrorless. Have you used the EL-1 speedlite. It uses the same LCE6 battery charger as the LPE6 batteries.

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

Announcements