cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New photographer looking for advices on lenses!

Willswearingen
Apprentice

I'm currently a student and have recently gotten into photography. I currently have an 18-200 kit lens and a 50mm. I'm looking at getting the canon 70-200 f2.8, as I've seen it used for around 600 dollars used on ebay and am hoping to get into sports photography. My only concern is my camera body, I currently have the canon 100d (rebel sl1), which is about a ten year old camera. Should I be investing lots of money in lenses and keep my old camera body? Or should I first buy a better camera body? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you are new to photography, then I do not recommend buying any used gear on eBay.  Only buy used gear from a reputable used camera gear retailer.  KEH is my favorite.  There are few others.

Your images will never be better than the lens that captured it.  Assuming that you’re purchasing the lens from a reputable retailer, instead of eBay, then purchasing a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 has its pros and cons.  

First, some background info.  There have been different versions of the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L over the years.  You can find a good history of the different versions of the lenses on Wikipedia.  The lenses have been released in two basic versions, with and without Image Stabilization, IS.  Lenses with IS cost significantly more and have better weather sealing than the lenses without IS.    

An EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM would be a good investment for the future, even though it duplicates the same focal lengths as your current 18-200mm lens.  The 70-200mm will much better image quality.  

Cameras focus at their maximum aperture setting.  This means a lens with an f/2,8 maximum aperture will allow more light to reach the AF sensor, which will mean better focusing in addition to the higher quality glass.

Good luck.  Stay away from eBay until you can answer your questions.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I would advise glass first. Then see if your camera body is limiting what you can capture. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

what would you recommend as a good upgrade from my current camera?

Do you have a budget in mind before a camera is recommended. Would you like to stay with a DSLR or move to a mirrorless camera.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 430EX III-RT, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D, Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM & EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

I'm not exactly sure in the difference between them, is mirrorless better? 

Nothing wrong with DSLRs, but mirrorless is the future.   If you're looking to move to a new camera body, I would recommend mirrorless.   Having said that, if budget is quite constrained, you could get a used DSLR that would be an upgrade to your current body.  That would be cheaper than going with a mirrorless option now.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Mirrorless cameras omit the pentaprism (or pentamirror in cheaper cameras), reflex mirror and dedicated VF AF system. They use the image sensor for AF and to provide an image to the EVF (Electronic View Finder). Mirrorless is slowly replacing DSLR cameras which are bigger. Mirrorless cameras can be made smaller because there is no mirror. Mirrorless cameras also use different camera mounts than SLR and DSLR cameras. DSLR and SLR lenses CAN BE adapted to mirrorless cameras. Mirrorless lenses sit closer to the image sensor. They also have a shorter flange distance to the image sensor vs a DSLR camera. Therefor Mirrorless lenses CAN NOT be adapted to DSLR or SLR cameras.

Mirrorless-vs-DSLR-Graphic.jpg

 -Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 430EX III-RT, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D, Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM & EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

That's a tough call.  You already have the 18mm to 200mm focal range covered.  No doubt though that the 70-200 f/2.8 is a better lens.  Lets in more light and its aperture is constant at all focal lengths as compared to your 18-200mm.

But, what do you find are the current limitations of your setup?  e.g. if you're hoping for things like faster focusing, more focus points and capturing more images per second, then a new camera body will serve you better.   But if you're wanting say the ability to have wider apertures at your longer focal lengths, then a better lens would be the right move.

For a camera body, I would recommend looking at either the EOS R10 or EOS R7.    If you do first go with an EF lens like the 70-200 f/2.8 and later get a mirrorless body such as the R10, you could get an adapter to allow you to continue using that lens.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

normadel
Authority
Authority

As a beginner and presumably limited in funds, why not just use what you have and learn about photography, settings, and all that stuff before considering "upgrading" anything?

A 70-200 lens would be redundant if you have an 18-200. Maybe there is a quality difference but as a raw beginner you're not going to be able to tell. Don't fall for the trap of having to get "more" and "better" right away.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you are new to photography, then I do not recommend buying any used gear on eBay.  Only buy used gear from a reputable used camera gear retailer.  KEH is my favorite.  There are few others.

Your images will never be better than the lens that captured it.  Assuming that you’re purchasing the lens from a reputable retailer, instead of eBay, then purchasing a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 has its pros and cons.  

First, some background info.  There have been different versions of the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L over the years.  You can find a good history of the different versions of the lenses on Wikipedia.  The lenses have been released in two basic versions, with and without Image Stabilization, IS.  Lenses with IS cost significantly more and have better weather sealing than the lenses without IS.    

An EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM would be a good investment for the future, even though it duplicates the same focal lengths as your current 18-200mm lens.  The 70-200mm will much better image quality.  

Cameras focus at their maximum aperture setting.  This means a lens with an f/2,8 maximum aperture will allow more light to reach the AF sensor, which will mean better focusing in addition to the higher quality glass.

Good luck.  Stay away from eBay until you can answer your questions.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements