cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual Focus - Canon RF100mm F2.8 L Macro is USM

fl45h
Apprentice

Hi everybody,

I have new macro lens Canon RF100mm F2.8 L Macro IS USM attached to Canon EOS RP Camera and can't find one feature. See picture attached. I can't find those 3 triangles in Manual Focus and when they match and go green subject is in focus. Can you help me please how to turn it on ?

Regards,

Chris

Screenshot_20220912-221105_YouTube.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It seems that your screenshot of DPReview was not a demonstration of the EOS RP.  The EOS RP uses a different manual focus aid called Focus Peaking.  Go to Red Menu #8 to enable it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

The triangles are a manual focus assist feature.  If you check out the following video AT THIS LINK and go to timestamp 3:20, you can see an explanation of how this work.

If this resolves your issue and you don't need further questions or comments posted to you, please label this post as a resolution.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@fl45h wrote:

Hi everybody,

I have new macro lens Canon RF100mm F2.8 L Macro IS USM attached to Canon EOS RP Camera and can't find one feature. See picture attached. I can't find those 3 triangles in Manual Focus and when they match and go green subject is in focus. Can you help me please how to turn it on ?

Regards,

Chris

Hello, Chris.

The feature you are wanting is called "Focus guide". I searched the latest EOS RP advanced user guide and didn't see it, so it's possible the RP doesn't have that feature. I guess I could have missed it or Canon has it labeled weird.

In our R5 and R6 Focus Guide has it's own menu (enable/disable) and even when focus guide is enabled, the lens has to be set to manual focus (MF), so try switching the lens to MF and see if you get the guide as it may be a default with no on/off selection in the RP menu. I doubt it, but you never know 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

I just went through the logs for firmware updates for the RP and don't see any features added that are specific to the 100mmL macro lens.   I am wondering if one has to turn on manual focus within the camera's menus in order to see the feature, given that it is a manual focus feature... 

On P200 of the Advanced User Guide" LINK here, it confirms that you have to go to the first set of (Red) menus, Page 8 and select Lens Electronic Manual Focus to enable that.  I am wondering if the OP had done that.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It seems that your screenshot of DPReview was not a demonstration of the EOS RP.  The EOS RP uses a different manual focus aid called Focus Peaking.  Go to Red Menu #8 to enable it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements