cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loose Top of Canon FE 70-200 F2.8 IS (Not II or III)

subcreative
Apprentice

Hi everyone. I recently picked up a 70-200 lens quite cheap. I noticed upon receiving it that the top / inner part of the lens has allot of play in it. I read that this is often caused by loose screws under the focus grip but after some exploration, they appear to be tight. 

Here is a short video of what is happening - https://youtube.com/shorts/fOudlCswZxo?si=IbUl2LCC_OTH5rdV

Any advice regarding what is happening, and if it's indeed just the screws that need tightening, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Maurice

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

This is probably not something that can be easily diagnosed in a forum on the internet.  I don't believe the mk1 version of this lens is still serviceable by Canon.  I think it reached its end of service life in 2017.  

Parts could be hard to come by.  You can try searching for local camera repair using your ZIP code.  If you have the option to return it, that might also be a good idea. The party who sold you this lens must have known about the play.  Maybe others will have suggestions?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Hmm. Was this purchased online? Return policy?

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
Announcements