cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to purchase a portrait lens for my 70D. 50mm 1.2L or 85mm 1.8?

tfarmer
Contributor

Looking to purchase a 50mm 1.2L or a 85mm (not an L). Is there a big difference in these two lenses besides the price?

16 REPLIES 16

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@tfarmer wrote:

Looking to purchase a 50mm 1.2L or a 85mm (not an L). Is there a big difference in these two lenses besides the price?

That's a pretty big jump in price, performance, and purpose.  What are you looking to use a new lens for?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@tfarmer wrote:

If you have to ask, don't buy the f/1.2. It's a highly specialized lens and not particularly easy to use effectively. If you needed it, you'd already know why.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

tfarmer
Contributor
I do outdoor family and senior photraits.

@tfarmer wrote:
I do outdoor family and senior photraits.

First and foremost, they are prme lenses.  Today's zoom lenses are near equal to most prime lenses.  Family shots, indoors or outdoors, will typically require a wide angle lens for best results.  Neither 50mm or 85mm would be "wide angle" on an EOS 70D. 

Like I said, those two lenses are night and day.  There is really no baseline to compare them against.  They are each very different lenses, which are typically used for very different results. 

For your stated purpose, i would recommend looking at a standard range, zoom lens.

tfarmer
Contributor
Yes, I've researched and that's why I'm asking.

tfarmer
Contributor
Thank you. My mentor told me to research lenses. I will follow up with her.

@tfarmer wrote:
Thank you. My mentor told me to research lenses. I will follow up with her.

You cannot use a lens without a camera.  A better understanding of photography basics is even better.

tfarmer
Contributor
Wow! Your comments are very mean and for no apparent reason! I have been studying this field so I know the basics. This is not my first time coming to the forum for suggestions and everyone has always been very helpful. I didn't come here for this. Again, thanks and no need for a response!

@tfarmer wrote:
Wow! Your comments are very mean and for no apparent reason! I have been studying this field so I know the basics. This is not my first time coming to the forum for suggestions and everyone has always been very helpful. I didn't come here for this. Again, thanks and no need for a response!

I'm not trying to be mean, just being honest with you. Maybe, too honest.

You asked for a comparison of two lenses, where one costs six times as much as the other, where each is typically used in very different ways.   If you had a better understanding of photography, then you would realize how unusual your question actually is.

As noted by another reply, your question speaks volumes about your experience and level of skill.  Even your mentor told you to research lenses.  In other words, you really do have much to learn.

Announcements