cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at lens options for a cruise to Alaska

Mstng1964
Apprentice

Planning a cruise to Alaska next year, I was fortunate to find 5D Mark IV at a reasonable price to upgrade from the T6 I've been using.  So now I'm looking at lenses more suitable to the capability of the 5D.  I figure the EF 24-70 L F2.8 would be a good one for our days in port.  I figure I'll want something with a longer focal length for days on the ship.  Our first cruise to Alaska so I'm not sure how far off the coast ships usually sail.  
I've been looking at the EF 70-200 F4 L IS II and the EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM for the telephoto lens.  Any input on these two lens and which would be a better option, more versatile for this trip and after.  From what I've read these are pretty close, I've used the compare feature at the-digital-picture.com and the images seem really close. I'm leaning toward the 70-300 for the extra focal length, but want to make sure I'm not overlooking a reason the 70-200 is a better choice.

9 REPLIES 9

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Congratulations on getting the 5DIV, it's an awesome camera - I had one for some years.  As you will likely have noticed, if you have been using the 5DIV, that the area of capture is reduced for any focal length lens compared to the same FL on the T6, because of the cropping effect of a smaller sensor.  So, when you put on the T6, say a 50mm lens, on the 5DIV you would need an 80mm lens to get the same Field of View.

If you don't want to carry a lot of lenses, I would suggest the Sigma 24-105 f/4 Art lens, because it has an excellent build and is generally sharper across the range than the Canon equivalents. That range releases you from the 70mm limit as a walkabout lens (that's why they are so popular) and from there, especially if you expect to be shooting wildlife, something like the EF 100-400L MkII lens where you want reach

For example, boats are not allowed to come within 200m of whales (although they can choose to come to you!), so you want long focal lengths!   The 100-400L II, is a brilliant optic and that will give you a lot more magnification than the 70-300, with better build. You could even also consider the Sigma or Tamron 150-600 range for even more reach, and they are both good optics too, but the 100-400 is a brilliant lens and fast to focus, lighter to carry, with less bulk.  It's also built like a tank.

As it happens, I was just out shooting some images with the 100-400LMkII a day or so ago, with the EOS 5DsR, a 52MP camera that will really push a lens (and the photographer) as it shows any flaw.  Now, it is mid-winter here, and some shots - particularly of the Kereru (native wood pigeon) were taken before the sun fell on their habitats and in deep bush, so the light was very poor. The ones of the tiger were taken through glass later, so the sun was up, and with that rather unique wintery tone to it - which I didn't change. The insect was also shot though glass in dim light. The spider monkeys were shot in good but watery sunlight.

Obviously, in NZ we don't have macro native mammals, such as I used to shoot on the West Coast of Canada, and you may well encounter, but nevertheless the shots give you some idea of what the lens can deliver - there rest is up to us!   

All shots, hand-held, available light.  Processed in PS for lens corrections, contrast and exposure as required, (I suspect some AI at play) but no playing with layers or anything like that, and DRASTICALLY reduced in file size to post here. 

Here are some results - the keeper rate, allowing for duplicates and shots of people wandering in front of me using the cell phones(!) was about 80%, which is not bad under the conditions and considering this camera has no face/eye tracking.

EOS 5DsR, EF100-400II@300mm, f/6.3, 1/250sec, ISO-800EOS 5DsR, EF100-400II@300mm, f/6.3, 1/250sec, ISO-800 EOS 5DsR, EF100-400II@300mm, f/6.3, 1/250sec, ISO-800EOS 5DsR, EF100-400II@300mm, f/6.3, 1/250sec, ISO-800 EOS 5DsR, EF100-400II@400mm, f/8, 1/320sec, ISO-400EOS 5DsR, EF100-400II@400mm, f/8, 1/320sec, ISO-400  EOS 5DsR, EF100-400II@220mm, f/5.6, 1/125sec, ISO-1600EOS 5DsR, EF100-400II@220mm, f/5.6, 1/125sec, ISO-1600  EOS 5DsR, EF100-400II@400mm, f/5.6, 1/50sec, ISO-1600EOS 5DsR, EF100-400II@400mm, f/5.6, 1/50sec, ISO-1600  EOS 5DsR, EF100-400II@400mm, f/7.1, 1/30sec, ISO-1600EOS 5DsR, EF100-400II@400mm, f/7.1, 1/30sec, ISO-1600EOS 5DsR, EF100-400II@400mm, f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-250EOS 5DsR, EF100-400II@400mm, f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-250  EOS 5DsR, EF100-400II@321mm, f/5.6, 1/250sec, ISO-400EOS 5DsR, EF100-400II@321mm, f/5.6, 1/250sec, ISO-400
EOS 5DsR, EF100-400II@142mm, f/5.6, 1/50sec, ISO-1600EOS 5DsR, EF100-400II@142mm, f/5.6, 1/50sec, ISO-1600

You may well appreciate the more weather-resistant build of the L series lens over the EF 70-300.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Some great shots there!  Just picked up the 5D this week so haven't had much time to shoot with it.  The only lens I have now that fits it is the 100-300 kit lens that came with the T6.  I've taken a few shots at the same subject from the same spot to get an idea of the difference in the full sensor vs the crop sensor.   Certainly a difference in the field of view, I've already noticed the 5D has less noise than the T6 even with the kit lens.  Looking forward to seeing the difference with some better glass quality.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Setting up different focusing and exposure settings for different scenarios or different purposes can make a big difference, using the C1...C3 modes.  For example, for wildlife (where getting the closest eye sharp is critical, so precision is all, especially in cluttered bush) I shoot Back Button single-point spot focus, in servo mode, with Back Button single point exposure locked with the * button.   I have that assigned to the C1 mode, but for landscape I might well choose a larger focusing area, with evaluative metering, assigned to, say the C2 mode. You can even have a mode that does not use BBF if you so desire along with other settings.  Definitely worth experimenting with that while you have time.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I've been reading up on the C buttons, great idea to have them set up for a few conditions and reduce the opportunity to miss changing a setting.  Our cruise isn't until next July, so I've got almost a year to get my skills up.  The quote from Percy W. Harris in your signature is very applicable to my situation, I'm looking to have decent equipment to work with but if I don't take time to learn how to use it properly I might as well just take pictures with my phone.  🙂

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Lovely photos Trevor.  

We took a Viking cruise to Alaska last August.  I took an RF > 15-35, 24-70, 70-200, 100-500

I used all of the lenses but used the 24-70 and 100-500 the most.  One thing that's important to mention.  The size of the ship you are on can make a big difference with how close the Captain can get the ship to certain attractions.  

The Hubbard Glacier is a good example.  Our ship had about 900 passengers.  The others were 3,000k to 5,000k.  Deeper draft, etc.  This is one of the reasons I sail with Viking.  Thats another discussion.  I'd go with Trevor's recommendations if you can.  100-400 or 150-600.  I believe you'll appreciate this reach.  I struggled to get the wildlife shots I wanted the one day I took the 70-200 out.  The shots of Spier Cove and the salmon farm were good, but there was no shooting bears with that lens.  Not from where I was anyway.   I used the 100-500 much of the time and carried the 24-70 for wider stuff.  

**Edit - spelling

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

We're on Royal Princess ship, we chose that itinerary for Glacier Bay, which I thought were some of the smaller ships but it's certainly larger than the 900 passenger Viking you were on.  A local camera shop has a tent sale coming up next weekend, may have to check out some of those longer focal length lenses to see the physical size.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Thanks Rick as always your opinion is very much respected and appreciated.

Definitely the constraints of the cruise ship are one thing to be considered - I must admit I have not been on a passenger ship for the last 64 years, so definitely bow to your knowledge.  One thing I can add though is to consider the constraints of getting to the ship.   A lot of airlines have quite restrictive policies as to carry-on weight and bulk, so keeping the number, bulk and weight of your gear down could be all the difference between having it securely with you, or risking it to loss or damage in checked-in luggage.  Over here we have just seen the latest in a long series of videos of a less than sterling piece of baggage handling as one of the ground crew threw the bags down a flight of steps, and I have had the same experience and saw it happen.

If you were on the R-series, I would definitely go with Rick's choice of the RF100-500 or even RF 200-800, but since you are on a DSLR, the 100-400LII is, I think the best of the choices, certainly less bulky that any of the 150-600's and lighter too.    I absolutely respect Rick's choice of the 24-70, but consider the ability to use one lens for everything from landscape t close-up telephoto for portraits, or even curious whales (as I have had happen) would move me in the direction of the Sigma 24-105 Art.  But, it's more preference than anything else - I hate gaps in my focal range!

One thing you might consider would be to rent or even get a second body as a back up.  Your 5DIV alone is a single point of failure, and having say two lenses 24-105 and 100-500, each on a body, means no switching lenses in the field, which is beneficial for both speed and to avoid opening the body up to outside materials, like sea spray or dust.  If one body has an issue, all is not lost.   You can always hire a second body for the length of your trip.

cheers, TREVOR

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Good Morning,

Funny you brought this up.  I'm living it right now.  Suitcase weighed 52.6 last night ☹️ KLM like most carriers has a 50 lbs / 23kg limit.  I'm struggling.  Shoes or tripod 😂 Shoes out so case is 48 lbs now.  

Just need to figure out the tripod.  We enjoyed Alaska.  It opened my eyes to wanting a second body.  The lens changes in the field set me back a bit.  I found myself needing to double time it in some cases to keep up with the group.  I made it work with one body that trip.   I found that if I walked more briskly I could arrive a little early, get the shots with one lens, then swap right about the time others started showing up.  This worked well in the majority of cases.  We had a rifleman with us on some excursions and he wasn't happy when I walked ahead or stayed behind to get that "no people" in the shot.  Some parts of Alaska are "The Revenant" all the way.     

Whales can be tough.  It's sort of a waiting game.  You have a few seconds when they come up.  Getting breeches is more rare.  We visited in August and most of the whales had already left the Kenai Fjords.  Depends on water temps when they start to migrate.  Eagles (BIF) are challenging as well.           

Trevor's video is why I don't check camera gear.  I'm sure if I was traveling the world as a professional photographer I would, but not in a Lowepro. 

I used C modes a lot in Russia.  One minute you are in doors, the next in a beautiful garden.  Its extremely helpful to be able to go between settings / modes by spinning a dial.     

@Mstng1964.  Since your trip is a year off, you have plenty of time.  I know you will love it. 

Prospector SitkaProspector SitkaHubbard GlacierHubbard GlacierCropCropLooking for lunchLooking for lunchSpasski River Valley_CropSpasski River Valley_CropSpire CoveSpire Cove    Spire CoveSpire Cove

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If I was going tomorrow and I did not have my Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens I would buy the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 as fast as I could get my Discover card out of my wallet. 

The 5D Mk IV and the big Tamron will be a fantastic combo. The 5D Mk IV is a super camera. Personally I would not consider anything in the 300 to 400mm range as they are going to be way too short. Remember you can never have too much FL.

IMHO, the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 is the best lens of its type available for its performance vs price. The Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 offers about the same level of whether sealing as the 5D Mk IV has some of the others in this class don't.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements