cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at a lens EF-S 17-55mm for people, horses, landscapes, etc.

Dmrcajun
Contributor

I'm looking for a lens for; in church, people ,poising , horses landscape. Someone recommended The EF-S 17-55mm AF. And i'm new to photography. Yes i'm learning to use Manual etc. I bought Rebel T7 KIt. I'm also going to MT. for the 4th of July. 

Question 2. well what i have now be sufficient? For a beginner LOL. Who is hungry to learn....

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Yes i'm learning to use Manual etc."

I did DSLR 101 classes for a while and I always discourage full manual for beginners. This is another place where DPP4 can be a big help as you can see what exposure settings were successful. You will begin to see the relationship between light and shutter speed and aperture. I also tell beginners to avoid the Creative Zones on the mode dial.

Selecting one of the semi automatic modes is better. Av, Tv, and the more fully auto P mode. You will learn to select the proper ISO for each scenario. Success is the better teacher and this method leads to success faster and fans the fire to learn more. Photography is a series of baby steps so don't rush it with a lot of terms and functions you don't fully understand right now. Enjoy!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"What is DDp 4? "

DPP4 is a Photoshop look alike photo editing software. It is free from Canon and you can d/l it from the web site. It can be as easy to use or as difficult as you want it to be. If you simply use it to u/l photos to your computer it is well wroth the d/l. Did I mention it is free so no good reason to not get it. However, with just a bit of tinkering around in DPP4 you can edit your photos and make some poor shots into very good ones. You can crop the image. You can correct color balance and exposure, sharpen, do lens correction, etc. Usually just simple mouse clicks.

" There is so much to learn that is being thrown at you and all these technical terms that I have to google and look up.!"

I totally hear you, Kido. The problem is most of the sources even the folks on this forum are not teachers. They are accomplished photographers but they are not teachers. They start at a level higher than the beginner. It is always better to start slowly with basic steps that produce success. I also teach music to middle schoolers and we don't start them trying to play a Beethoven symphony. We play Row, Row, Your Boat or Go Tell Aunt Rhody.

Keep in mind probably 80% of all your shots can be done successfully with P mode. The other modes are there for the special situations where P doesn't work for what you want. And full manual is at the bottom of the list.

In your case and most cases the very best is to have a live person to be there with you. This is not unlike teaching music it is always best to have an instructor present. The famous book series Such and Such for Dummies could be a good book to look at. Maybe have a look at Digital SLR Cameras & Photography For Dummies on Amazon.

Or come back here with your questions many of us will happily try to answer them.

EB

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Love to help it makes teachers happy to see students be successful.

EB

23 REPLIES 23

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This is the editing pallet in DPP4. It looks intimidating at first but it is really just a bunch of sliders. 

edit.jpg

Canon among others have complete tutorials on how to use DPP4 on Youtube  <-- click here.

EB

Dmrcajun
Contributor

Cool thanks I will check it out!!!your the best! 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Remember Kido we all started where you are at now. Baby steps, walk before you run!

EB

Dmrcajun
Contributor

Got the tennis shoes on!!!!!

click here to view the gallery
Announcements